Repeal of stolen airspace LAA AGM motion by Zoom 18th Oct.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mikehallam

Repeal of stolen airspace LAA AGM motion by Zoom 18th Oct.

Post by mikehallam » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Anyone for or against the Farnborough, Brize, Oxford, Southend, Norwich grabs of great swathes of thinly used and now for GA almost no-go ATZ s are sure to want to join in the Zoom LAA AGM.
It's on Sunday week the 18th October. All inputs and votes on the motion are to get the LAA to parley with other flying organisations and for under used airspace restored to GA. And GA to get a fairer say when the CAA give away our airspace.
Well it's a better start than just grumbling about these extraordinarily complex ATZs and quite why big business has been helped acquire ownership of our own humble routes.

ChampChump

Re: Repeal of stolen airspace LAA AGM motion by Zoom 18th Oct.

Post by ChampChump » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:22 pm

Duly noted.

Peripheral question: the form leaves a large space for, presumably, the name of the Chairman of the meeting, but who is chairing the meeting? I cannot see this mentioned in the magazine article nor on the form. May I leave it blank?

Apologies for stupid question.

I'm stupid.
Nic Orchard

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:23 am

I left that box blank and just "arrowed" the statement about the chairman being my proxy.
Tony
Tony Nowak

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 am

Apologies for the oversight. The chair of the AGM will of course be our Chairman, Tim Hardy.

Steve
Stephen Slater

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:02 pm

BTW.

Please use your form to vote on item 6.
Because I don't think with a Zoom AGM voting after the discussion on the 18th comes into play.

Rather odd actually Steve, having to ask members to vote on the Motion as laid out in the magazine before hearing pro's, con's ???????

Still I sincerely hope enough members, particularly those in the southern half of the U.K. will feel suitably motivated to say "FOR".

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks, Steve (and Tony).
Nic Orchard

JimCrawford

Post by JimCrawford » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:10 pm

While I understand and thoroughly agree with the intent of the proposer's motion, I wish it had been better worded.
Strictly interpreted it makes little sense.
The meaning of ATZ is set out in Article 5 of the Air Navigation Order (ANO) 2016 and is a volume of airspace around an airfield 2000ft above airfield level and 2 or 2.5 nautical miles in radius depending on the runway length (there are a few exceptions). Therefore, except in the case a runway is appropriately lengthened, an ATZ cannot be "enlarged". I appreciate the author means controlled airspace of the Farnborough/Brize/Oxford sort rather than ATZ but it does leave us in the position of voting for a clumsily worded motion which will not impress those we wish to influence.
Similarly the first part of the motion, "regain GA access to, or passages through, areas where we have lost airspace", will generate a response from those concerned with defending the airspace changes along the lines of "you haven't lost the airspace, you can get permission to use it on contact with ATC". Just try that in a glider or if ATC is unable due workload!
I realise the motion is a worthy attempt to kick start a process, nevertheless it should have been proof read before submitting to the agenda. I shall reluctantly support it with my proxy vote but I very nearly abstained because of it's presentation.

Jim
Jim Crawford

Sean McDonald

Post by Sean McDonald » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Surely the Association should help and advise on such motions to ensure clarity?

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 am

This morning LAA AGM on Zoom.
Make your views heard, all inputs valued.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Today's AGM was neatly carried out and that ATZ motion was heavily supported.

The overall downer ase how very few members indeed (247) from 7.5 thousand of us had sent in their proxy voting sheets, reflected in todays on-line attendance.

Brave Tim Hardy & Steve Slater had risen earloy on a Sunday and gone into the office to conduct the meeting most beautifully.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:17 pm

It is sad that so few make the effort to support their organisation. Proxy and Zoom attendees were far lower than I would have expected, perhaps the same ones that would have made the effort to attend a Turweston AGM.

The good news is that 7,000 plus cannot complain about any motions passed :-)
Ian Melville

Rjk983

Post by Rjk983 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:16 am

I would have loved to vote, my copy of LA arrived in the post on Mon morning 19 Oct.

Maybe it could have been in an earlier copy or an email sent out to members?
Richard Kennedy