Covid lockdown

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Turner

Covid lockdown

Post by Paul Turner » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Anyone figured out whether or not we can fly after Wed? From the gov wording rec flying appears to be non essential travel but case being made for Golf and tennis!! Can't see anything on CAA yet
Cheers and stay safe

LSHAvenger18

Re: Covid lockdown

Post by LSHAvenger18 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am

From LAA facebook page:

"From Matthew Bolshaw who is a liason with APPG on aviation.
I have just heard directly from the Secretary of State for Transport that flying training and tests are not allowed during the lockdown the same as driving lessons tests. Airfields are allowed to stay open and hiring of aircraft is okay so long as it is for one of the reasons where your allowed to leave home. I am posting this as the public liaison for the All Party Parliamentary Group for General Aviation."
Simon Heighway

markdesmond

Post by markdesmond » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:11 pm

I acknowledge that being grounded, is small potatoes in comparison to the personal and business tragedies happening all around the world. However, the DFT Guidance document published 04 Nov is at odds with the PM's speech of Sat 31st October, when he said we are allowed to leave home for exercise and recreation. DFT's Guidance seems to exceeded that and states "Private pilots Should Not undertake any sport or leisure flying. In line with the requirement to stay at home without reasonable excuse." I cycled 36km today exercise being my reasonable excuse and briefly visited the farm strip where I fly from. Chiefly to retrieve an electronic tablet left in the cockpit after flying yesterdsy. I did not fly today but could easily have done so, without meeting or seeing another soul. Risk of covid transmission zero. Against the law? I suspect not. A document for Guidannce and the words Should not do not seem to be legally binding terms to my untrained ear. Responsible? There in lays the debate, along with the public perception of any light aircraft activity. Tin hat firmly on, I really would like to fly, it provides a huge positive mental boost. I fear that if people are allowed to mix freely over Christmaswe, will be back to square one by the end of January.

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Well said Mark!
Last edited by John Dean on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attach a signature
Stephen Foreman

ebs

Post by ebs » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:18 am

Agreed.

I cannot see any reason why solo GA flying (or with members of your household) should not be allowed provided that one has no contact with others during lockdown.

I suspect that this is political on the basis that if most recreational activities are curtailed then all should be - ie no one is permitted to have any fun.

And what is the point of GA aerodromes being allowed to remain open otherwise?

A cursory glance at Flight Radar 24 on this fine sunny Friday morning would suggest that plenty of private pilots are ignoring the 'guidance".
Edward Blomfield-Smith

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:34 pm

I think perhaps the DfT's stated reason to stop leisure flying is about perception, not evidence and shows gross incompetence.

Now we see the true picture.

According to the DfT

. The DfT are concerned that if people who can't enjoy their leisure and sport activities but see light aircraft flying as normal it will cause discontent in the wider population. So our view is that Private pilots should not fly as normal for sport or leisure or we could see increased restrictions being imposed and enforcement action taken.
So the perception by those the DfT deem sensitive outweigh the safety of pilots and aircraft, who need to fly for currency.
As one of those the DfT would probably see as not liking the rich and privileged flying, being below the average wage earner and extremely working class, I consider this both insulting and stupid.
Many pilots love aviation so much that most or indeed all their spare income is spent flying. No wonder Golfers and Tennis players are kicking off.

Please can someone speak to the DfT. 3 months of flying restrictions are absolutely dangerous due to lack of currency, which the CAA have already implied.

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Alan et al

As we circulated to all members on Tuesday, the position we have been advocating to CAA and DfT has been consistent.

There is no COVID safety reason why an LAA member should not fly, either to maintain pilot currency or to maintain aircraft serviceability. If a flight is solo, or with a passenger from their social ‘bubble’ and from ‘A-to-A’ then there is minimal additional COVID risk provided ‘hands, face and space’ precautions are taken on the ground.

The risks posed by losing flying currency are arguably greater. In July, at the end of the first lockdown the CAA identified the primary risk to pilots as ‘Skill Fade’, from private pilots to instructors and commercial. Even though most private pilots are cautious and there is greater risk in areas such as infringement rather than direct accident risk, maintaining flying currency is an important safety asset.

However, I can appreciate the position the DfT has been placed in, with higher Government advice pushing to restrict movement outside our homes in England. We'll keep pushing DfT to make sure our voice is heard.

Steve
Stephen Slater

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 pm

I doubt a megaphone stuck through the office windows of the DFT by the LAA or anyone else would make any difference. But i imagine another consultation from the CAA or the DFT about their commitment towards GA is being drafted as we speak.
Stephen Foreman

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:53 am

Zodiac wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 pm
I doubt a megaphone stuck through the office windows of the DFT by the LAA or anyone else would make any difference.
It won't make any difference, they are all working from home :lol:
Ian Melville

Zodiac

Post by Zodiac » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:40 am

:lol: indeed Ian well said
Stephen Foreman

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Thanks Steve, I do know you are pushing for Common Sense from the DfT, which is sadly lacking. It appears paper qualifications are more important, but nudges from members should be encouraged. More to other other unmentioned associations than our own I admit.

ebs

Post by ebs » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Grant Shapps is a pilot and should understand the issue of skills fade.

I imagine his view is that it is only for a month and then things can get going again.
Edward Blomfield-Smith