Big pilots

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Speedrecord

Big pilots

Post by Speedrecord » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi All,

Not posted before, so sorry of this is old stuff. I cannot find info on the website. These days everyone is taller wider and heavier than the past. (and the older you get!) Looking at the various aircraft types, I realise that some of us larger people cannot fit in many of the older classics and homebuilt single seaters in particular. I note that some new designs seem to be catering for that problem. (e.g. the Seeker)

Question: Is there a list or other information giving the LAA aircraft data; max. pilot height? Cabin width? Max weight? That sort of info. That would help people to know where to look for a suitable aircraft type. Even subjective views would be helpful.
Derek Clews

Gerry Holland

Re: Big pilots

Post by Gerry Holland » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:43 am

Derek Hi.
Finding an aircraft to fit is quite the hardest part of selection along with another.....access IN and OUT. Old aircraft were often designed when the population was generally 25% or more smaller than it is today. Cabin width is always a good measure of suitability. Anything 25" or below is not suitable. Cabin height too is a significant factor.
The real issue though is access!
Can you flex your body enough to get legs, arms and head contained in cockpit through door or sliding under Instrument Panel to settle into seat.
Measuring and creating a factor number would be difficult, as too a list of measuring access points.
In truth it is going to see your prospective purchase and try and get into and just as importantly, out of it!
Regards
Gerry
Last edited by Gerry Holland on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:08 am

Quiet agree, my Mono has kept me slim and flexible for the last thirty years😀, Can’t alter my height🙈
Mike Blyth

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am

Mike
Wish I had bought a Mono 30 years ago!
Gerry
:oops:

Speedrecord

Post by Speedrecord » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:55 pm

Don't think surgery is the answer to fitting in an aircraft, so maybe a list with essential info is? Please!
Derek Clews

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:47 am

Derek,

The info you want would be hard to compile now as the LAA must have xx different aircraft on their "books". I don't know what number "XX" represents....

I am fairly sure this question has come up previously on this forum so have you tried searching?

I think one of the larger Jodel models will probably be suitable.

Tony
Tony Nowak

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:10 am

Derek
Not the best option but maybe your profile published would get responses yes and no to various aircraft being flown in LAA Land. I've just sold an older single seat and ensured that the advert conveyed that anyone over 6 foot wouldn't have a chance of fitting. 5' 9" and maximum of 200 pounds was the limit. Another option in self research would be to check empty weight of aircraft to MAUW. That difference would give a useful guide to what weight of load is available.
Self analysis of your mobility or agility also needs consideration. The earlier aircraft I sold was a b****r to get in if your knee joints were past their best.
In truth its the same judgement used choosing a Car or Settee....subjective, add to that the Worlds obsession with political correctness and its probably verboten to mention size or mobility when selling anything as it may prejudice inclusivity.
Research on Web should narrow down choice too. Best of luck! :D
Regards
Gerry

Speedrecord

Post by Speedrecord » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks All,

I was aware there would be a lot of personal judgement involved. But wondered if some key measurements could be identified. e.g. max Height of pilot, Cabin width and, as noted, payload. It looks like well over half the LAA fleet may be impossible for me just being over 6ft 1in tall. Add being older and heavier now and most of the rest are out as well!
Derek Clews