Medicals, oh no!!! I hear you say

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Aviatoral

Medicals, oh no!!! I hear you say

Post by Aviatoral » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 am

Hi everyone, im new to posting on forums and I know this is a bit of an old chestnut, but it's difficult to get a definitive answer.
I have an easa part FCL licence for sep, currently I have a class 2 medical, I fly a sports cruiser which is easa part c of a. Can I fly with the LAPL part of class2 medical cert which is valid for 2 years or better still self certification. I'm 60 so trying to avoid getting a medical every year which costs, and comes around very quickly.
As I say sorry to bring this up but CAA website isn't very clear and a lot of posts on this were from 2016. Many thanks.
Alastair McPherson

PennySharpe
Site Admin

Re: Medicals, oh no!!! I hear you say

Post by PennySharpe » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi Alistair
Please find below response to your query from our Head of Training David Cockburn:

As an aeroplane pilot, you can fly on your LAPL medical until that expires, provided you only want to use LAPL privileges (below 2000kg, maximum of 4 people on board, VFR only). You can make a medical declaration to the CAA and fly a G reg EASA aeroplane using only LAPL privileges in UK airspace, but at the moment that only applies until 31 March 2021. There are likely to be some changes coming into effect after 31 December but these will not affect you immediately.

Regards
Penny

Aviatoral

Re: Medicals, oh no!!! I hear you say

Post by Aviatoral » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Penny
Thanks for the answer, that makes it much clearer.
Alastair McPherson