BRITISH EASA LAPL POST BREXIT

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

DavidT

BRITISH EASA LAPL POST BREXIT

Post by DavidT » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:31 am

Since Roger Hopkinson and the LAA were quite influential in the creation of the EASA LAPL licence and medical requirements, does anyone know whether the LAA will be able to influence CAA and EASA to come to some arrangement whereby British LAPL licences and medicals can be validated by EASA and vice versa? In view of the origins of the LAPL licence the situation where British LAPL holders are left out in the cold and the licence isn't recognised by Europe is farcical.
Comments, or a pressure group would be helpful I think.
David Thomas
David Thomas

Clive

Re: BRITISH EASA LAPL POST BREXIT

Post by Clive » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 am

Great question David, my son has one of these licenses.
He's ready to start continental touring (one Covid suppressed day).
If no recognition then a route to conversion? Or is there one?
Good post, thanks Clive
Clive James

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm

I think this is a question which very many of us holding a LAPL would like to see answered. I have reason to believe that the CAA have it on their list of things to do. However, I doubt it is anywhere near the top of the list so patience may be needed.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:59 pm

I would encourage anyone with a LAPL to apply using TL2. 08 as a reference, and ask each
Member state permission to fly to their country using your LAPL and LAPL medical for a period of up to 56 days from Jan 1st to Dec 31st.
Don't give specific dates, especially in these nightmarish times. This will give you flexibility.
There more that apply, the more likely it is that a blanket exemption may be granted.
Let them know you have for the past umpteen years flown around Europe with nary a scratch using said licence

My personal thoughts and not anyone else's.

netsua

Post by netsua » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi All, I too have been caught up in the LAPL mess, in my case made all the worse by the fact that I am based in Sicily. Has Alan got anything to add on how we can go about applying for permission to fly with our LAPL, particularly in France and Italy? I did not understand the reference to TL2.08
Stephen Austen

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 pm

TIL2.08 is available on the LAA website here under Aircraft & Technical.

netsua

Post by netsua » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:31 am

Unfortunately, the link to T.L 2.08 does not seem to work and when I cut and pasted the reference in to the search engine on Aircraft and Technical, nothing came out. I have written a request for information to the Italian CAA, ENAC and will circulate any response. Knowing the Italians, I am not holding my breath.
Stephen Austen

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Try: http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... rcraft.pdf

Then 'open in a new tab'. For some reason it won't translate from the Forum page. We'll look into that.
Stephen Slater

netsua

Post by netsua » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks for that, Steve. I will follow up. Meanwhile, I had a bit of a "bing" moment in the middle of the night. Unless I am mistaken, as things stand, the only way for a LAPL holder to fly unrestricted in EASA airspace (setting aside the equally vexed issue of Permit aircraft access) is to upgrade to PPL. This is not going to be a cheap proposition according to the current guidelines on the CAA site. The latter states that a LAPL holder will still have to undertake 10 hours of instruction, study and pass half a dozen exams, carry out 4 hours' supervised solo/cross country and pass a skills test. Nice work for ATO's but potentially ruinous for LAPL holders and arguably a diversion from more useful training and safety expenditure.
So, here is my suggestion; rather than waiting for the CAA to engage EASA on our behalf, maybe the LAA can engage the CAA to establish a 'Lite" process for converting LAPL to PPL? The current process appears to be geared very much to newly minted LAPL holders but many of us have flown hundreds of hours and thousands of cross country miles at home and abroad on LAPLs. Why not credit us with our experience by, for instance, reducing the 10 hours' required instruction by one hour for every 50 logged flying hours under LAPL? Similarly, the 150 mile/2 hour supervised solo cross country could be waived by proof of 1500 miles of logged solo cross country flying. Ideally, the full theory tests could be replaced by "supplemental" study/tests in areas not covered under the LAPL syllabus but I can see how developing that could be for another day. Steve, why not start the ball rolling with the CAA to at least give us old codgers who've been flying on LAPLs for years a bit of a break on the practical side?
Stephen Austen

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Great suggestion Stephen.
As we all know the real ‘learning’ takes place after all the training is done and a 200 hour LAPL pilot is way past a newly licensed PPL. As you say some have loads more than that.
Steve, this would be a great initiative for the LAA to support and a simpler transfer to a full PPL is likely to encourage more LAPL holders to make the upgrade.
Regards Clive
Clive James

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Quite frankly I am going to ignore all licensing requirements from now on.

If the powers that be can't be bothered to do their job properly why should anybody pay any attention to them.
Mass civil disobedience / non-cooperation will get their attention.

Anyone with an LAPL should automatically be issued with a PPL and done with it and the LAPL renamed NPPL which is all it now is.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Just in case anyone missed it on the other thread, a UK LAPL or NPPL SSEA and a PMD are valid to fly both homebuilt and certain 'historic' aircraft in France.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Donald Walker wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:21 pm
Just in case anyone missed it on the other thread, a UK LAPL or NPPL SSEA and a PMD are valid to fly both homebuilt and certain 'historic' aircraft in France.
Assuming this one:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6084&p=28632#p28632

Thanks Clive
Clive James