Experimental status in UK

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MarkMcConville

Experimental status in UK

Post by MarkMcConville » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to your Association. I am interested in buying my first aircraft and have been looking at a SportCruiser in Europe that is registered as Experimental. How straightforward would it be to put it on a UK register and what classification would it be? Roughly what would the costs associated with this be?
Thanks in anticipation

Steve Slater

Re: Experimental status in UK

Post by Steve Slater » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:21 am

Hi Mark and welcome.

I think we'll need some more detailed information on the aircraft before we can give more detailed advice. Can I suggest you drop an e-mail to [email protected] with some of the aircraft details and we'll get back to you with more specific advice.

Steve
Stephen Slater

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Technical Leaflet 1.06 refers to importing aircraft:
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... rcraft.pdf

The Sportscruiser is an existing type to the LAA as you probably know, is 'inspectable' and as it's generally a bolt, pipe and wire homebuilt there's not a lot that can be cocked up structural wise. It would be a permit aircraft (PTF) and so is great as the association is built round supporting such types.

My suggestion would be, unless you are experienced in airframes etc, take an inspector with you, or someone with suitable skills and experience, and crawl all over it. Check it has all the requisite paperwork. Shouldn't be a big problem to import, maybe a grand in expenses to get it on the register? (wild guess). Maybe a sportscruiser owner could comment on any mods that they need that may not be incorporated on the continent. I believe early SC were a bit pitchy, tail was improved on later models.

First thing to do is join the LAA and start reaping the benefits of this great organisation.

Regards, Clive
Clive James

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Those rules refer to homebuilt aircraft. Many of the SportCruisers registered Europe as Experimental were factory built. It makes a difference.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 pm

If it’s currently and Experimental it is unlikely to be factory built but I suppose it’s possible.
As Steve said some more details would be handy?
Regards Clive
Clive James

MarkMcConville

Post by MarkMcConville » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Thanks All for your replies. It is Swedish Registered and was built in 2010 by the seller from a kit. It has a permit to fly which expires in May 2021 and is registered in Sweden as Experimental. The seller assures me that all the maintenance is up to date and well recorded and the ad's carried out, including the front landing strut. My concern would be that if I bought it and brought it back (I'm in Northern Ireland) the cost of dismantling for inspection would preclude the value and that it would be refused a permit for some other reason. Still need to investigate the VAT issue now that we're out of EU. N. Ireland, however is still in the Customs Union. All advice welcomed.
Here's a screen grab of the ad.
Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 13.09.00.jpg

MarkMcConville

Post by MarkMcConville » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Clive wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:21 pm

First thing to do is join the LAA and start reaping the benefits of this great organisation.

Regards, Clive
Thanks Clive - I joined on Monday
regards
Mark

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Looks nice, from what I've seen the SC isn't an aircraft that would need 'dismantling' for inspection.

Like I said it's a nuts and bolts, pipe and wire build, stand to be corrected though, not much that a builder can get creative with that would affect it's airworthiness.
Obviously an extensive inspection will be needed.

Maybe we have a SC builder that reads this could comment, or an inspector who's inspected the build of one?

My initial thoughts are, subject to some positive feedback from builder/inspectors is go for it!
You've got a great trip to look forward to as well.......
As soon as the madness is over I'm heading over to take a pilot friend inspect an aircraft there.
Will be good exercise for flying in Europe post Brexit, post covid etc

Regards, Clive
Clive James

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 am

Mark,

To save yourself from possible grief and expenditure I suggest you e-mail LAA Engineering for their specific advice on this issue.

Tony
Tony Nowak

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:42 pm

I built one and agree with Clive. It would be very easy to inspect. The original UK SportCruiser importer is an LAA inspector and knows the type inside out.