Your Medical - What You Need to Know

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:00 am

Prepared by LAA Medical Adviser and AME, Dr Frank Voeten.

PPL Holders
A PPL can be validated with a Class 2 medical for the duration of its validity. For flying outside of the UK you will need a valid Class 2 medical as this is a medical to the ICAO standard and as such valid the world over.

As written above, you may be lucky enough to be old enough to have a Class 2 medical which after its expiry is valid for another year (check your medical) as a LAPL medical. You can use that privilege to fly for that extra year with your PPL licence but that licence then only has the value of a LAPL licence. That means that any additional bells and whistles you have (IRR/CRI etc) cannot be used during the time you use a LAPL medical to fly with your PPL.

Another caveat is that you need to keep the PPL valid by adhering to PPL standard renewal/revalidation standards NOT of a LAPL.

A PPL with a LAPL is not a valid combo for flying outside of the UK as things stand at present (March 2021)

As with the LAPL Licence , you may also be able to validate your PPL Licence with a CAA PMD - make sure you meet the requirements as formulated on the CAA website and that your flying - in particular the type of aeroplane you want to fly is covered by the PMD regulations. Details on the CAA website.

LAPL Holders
You can validate your LAPL licence with a LAPL Medical; a Class 2 medical commonly remains valid for a longer period if you are lucky enough to be over 50 (for another year) and you can then use that privilege until the medical expires.

You may also be able to validate your LAPL Licence with a CAA PMD - make sure you meet the requirements as formulated on the CAA website and that your flying - in particular the type of aeroplane you want to fly is covered by the PMD regulations. Details on the CAA website.

Booking a medical
From 29/3/2021 you cannot just appear at your AME's office with a paper application form. You have to get an account (for free) with the CAA through which you make your application and pay the CAA fee for the medical (Class1/3- £14; Class 2- £8, LAPL- £0)
To register, at the moment, takes 3-10 days.

In addition you still have to book a medical with your friendly AME in the usual way.

PMD - Pilot Medical Declaration
A couple of important issues:

1. You can hold a PMD and a UK Medical at the same time.
2. Getting an AME/GP issued Medical does not invalidate your PMD
3. If your medical expires or is revoked or suspended then your PMD may remain valid if you continue to meet the requirements of the PMD.
4. There have been some changes to the PMD in particular the type of aeroplanes you can fly and the conditions that apply to those options - so check whether your intended type of flying is covered by the PMD/Licence Combo you want to use
5. The PMD is valid only in the UK

Further:

1. If anyone spots an error please point it out!
2. If you have any query about your medical please contact your AME they are your first point of contact.
3. The LAA is also in a position to forward any general questions about medical issues to either the CAA medical department, or our friendly medical advisor; Frank.
Stephen Slater

Christopher Rose

Re: Your Medical - What You Need to Know

Post by Christopher Rose » Tue May 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Booking a medical
From 29/3/2021 you cannot just appear at your AME's office with a paper application form. You have to get an account (for free) with the CAA
It's not that easy.
I applied for an account on the CAA portal two weeks ago and have heard nothing.
I have held a licence and a medical with the UK CAA for 45 years; how is it possible that they need to take more than two needs to verify who I am?

Please forward this to the LAA's friendly medical advisor Frank.
Regards
Christopher Rose
263294B

Mark Miller

Post by Mark Miller » Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 pm

Quote: "You can hold a PMD and a UK Medical at the same time."

Where does it say this? Or, indeed, the opposite!

I have sometimes bridged between Class 2 expiry and medical renewal by using a PMD, and two different AME's have been emphatic that the PMD has to be withdrawn before undertaking the Class 2 examination. In August 2019 my then AME had to telephone the CAA during my appointment to have the PMD removed - or else her online link to Gatwick would not work. In April 2021 I was asked by the AME to do this (via the wretched Cellma) in advance of even turning up for the Class 2 appointment.

As an aside, it appeared that the only way to withdraw the PMD was to declare myself 'unfit' - which wasn't true!

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am

I hold a PMD and a Class 2 medical. Never had a problem.

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 am

Mark Miller wrote: In August 2019 my then AME had to telephone the CAA during my appointment to have the PMD removed - or else her online link to Gatwick would not work.
This happened to me when I went for a LAPL medical in 2019. The PMD was removed so that the LAPL medical could continue but was reinstated afterwards. The AME was told it was a fault with the system which I understood had been resolved.

ericoni

Post by ericoni » Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks so much for this Steve.

There is so much confusion regarding medicals (at least to me there is). I wondered if there was a very simple answer to a very simple question that you could guide me towards.

It is:

If I want to fly my gyrocopter to Europe at the end of the summer, which medical should I have in place?

(and how would I go about obtaining it?)

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Best,

Paul
Last edited by John Dean on Tue May 18, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attach a signature
Paul Davies