Which Aircraft for a first time builder?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Chris-Costello-1987

Which Aircraft for a first time builder?

Post by Chris-Costello-1987 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Hello there,

I'm a new member to the LAA and I'm interested in building my own aircraft, as much advice as anyone is willing to offer would be much appreciated.
I have a few types in mind to fit my criteria but I'm open to new ideas, I'd like to know if I've missed a trick settling on the "perfect" aircraft for a first time builder. I'm very taken with the Currie Wot but ideally I want a two seat dual control, I've also been brushing up on the Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth which through my rookie eyes seems to be perfect. I am however Interested in the two seat Flitzer being developed.
My vague criteria really boils down to a two seat vintage looking bi-plane but as I said, I'm open to suggestions and could do with some help. It would be great to talk with someone or people engaged in a similar project to discuss how to get started, even better if someone is working on above aircraft!

In short, where do I start?

Chris Costello

cirrusvfr

Re: Which Aircraft for a first time builder?

Post by cirrusvfr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:10 pm

I would definitely talk to TLAC and investigate the Sherwood Ranger if you want a biplane ....plenty are flying so you can get opinions from past builders and pilots too.
Phil Laycock

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:54 pm

The Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth isn't an LAA-approved design, as far as I know, so you should probably cross that off your list.

List of approved designs here (though I'm not sure it's completely up to date): http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... 20List.pdf

Chris-Costello-1987

Post by Chris-Costello-1987 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:03 am

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I don't know the Sherwood Ranger, looks like a great aircraft! I'm interested in a wooden build however, it looks to be welded steel tube construction? I've seen the TLAC mentioned before, please excuse my ignorance but what is this?
As far as the Fisher R-80 goes I was aware its not yet on the approved list, would it be a serious task to get it approved? I was under the impression there were a handful being built in this country?

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:39 pm

TLAC is The Light Aircraft Company, who make the Sherwood Ranger.

There used to be a list on the LAA website showing aircraft that had been submitted for approval, what stage this process had got to, etc., but I can't find it now! Maybe ask LAA Engineering if the Fisher R-80 is on the list.

Getting a new design approved is likely to make actually building the aircraft seem like the easy bit...

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Build an RV12iS, fly it for a year, enjoy the sweet handling and then make you mind up. Either sell for more than it cost you and buy what you want, or keep it and enjoy Vans flying.

The RV12 is a great introductory aeroplane, the quality and builder support is first class and you can build it yourself in a double garage.