ANONYMITY ON POSTINGS TO END.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 am

I note that we have a disclaimer on the "Aircraft Construction and Maintenance" section to the effect that these are not the views of LAA Engineering...so why not have something for Hangar Chat that these are not the views of the LAA or the EC? (And take the opportunity to correct the spelling "memebrs" please!)

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 am

Some good input, but very few real names being added to the signature.

Rod1. Your employer presumably has a contractural clause to ensure anything posted in the public arena does not damage their brand, or even ends them in court. As the external litigation trend increases and LAA's reach extends, we too suffer similar pressures.

To clarify:
Thanks to Steve's point - yes there is a genuine threat here. I personally pushed hard for this implementation. Considerable debate has already been expended on this subject (do folks honestly think EC would just make this change without due consideration)? We were lucky on the last two recent occasions, but could be seriously damaged as an organisation by a few uninformed words (there are plenty on this forum it would appear).
If there is demand for a seperate forum (Flyer) where anything goes, well it's a free world...please don't use the LAA name.

I used the term 'adults' to reflect and link a comment from a previous post.

You can't change your user name. Sorry for the inconvenience. Just add your real name to the bottom of the posting (or signature). By all means keep your 'tag'.

Cirrus272. You are correct that using your real name doesn't necessarily change anything and moderation will be needed. If this attribution doesn't work, I WILL remove folks from the forum for damaging remarks and if that doesn't work, then the forum basis will have to be re-considered.

Welshman. Seeking information about what's going on is a very laudable cause, but not part of this thread. Please excuse me, but I'll start another thread to seperate the topics (rather than duck). See you there?

leiafee. As per my previous post. WE know who everyone is. The motivation is that YOU the poster can't hide behind a psuedonym and therefore might just think a moment longer before hitting that 'send' button. Of course it doesn't change your ability to write anything you like. If you don't want a journalist quoting you, is it likely the LAA wants you writing it under their name?

This is now taking up a disproportionate amount of my time and you're paying for it. I must complete work today on the HQ business plan, membership charges, GACC feedback, chase the ET workshop move for the courses, the stand for SPLASH (any volunteers?), our response to the CAA liaison meeting (increased charges everywhere) ...tell you what, let's put this on another thread so you have a better idea what's going on here.
Pete Harvey
BTW - please start adding your names! Thanks.
BTW2 - I hate censorship. Yes, really! This is about balance and protecting your Association. Blame the lawyers / society / the instant reach of the internet. It's an imperfect world, but we do our best.

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:14 am

“Rod1. Your employer presumably has a contractural clause to ensure anything posted in the public arena does not damage their brand, or even ends them in court. As the external litigation trend increases and LAA's reach extends, we too suffer similar pressures.”

No legal angle to it, it is along the same lines as a minister can only comment publicly on there own portfolio. I have an “unofficial” local ok that providing I do not overtly post under my own name I am OK. I do have my real name in my profile, together with my email, so any person wishing to ID me can do so.

If you want to know about predictive asset management in Europe involving assets up to 500m€ per contract then I am your man!

Rod1

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:39 pm

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Come off it John, you're never 5ft 10 1/2

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:15 pm

On a more serious note John, the point is not that having your proper name on it effects any litigation etc, simply that if people are signing their own name they may be a little more circumspect about what they write.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:32 pm

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi John, hope you've got a nice set of chisels to go with that plane. And I thought you spoke English like what it's supposed to be spoke.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:23 pm

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:15 pm

pharvey wrote: leiafee. As per my previous post. WE know who everyone is. The motivation is that YOU the poster can't hide behind a psuedonym
Hide from who? If I'm really being libellous or obnoxious, then surely the process is the same as for more or less every other bulletin boards on the fact of the internet -- the offended party contacts the moderators and it's dealt with.
If you don't want a journalist quoting you, is it likely the LAA wants you writing it under their name?
Frankly, I expect the LAA to have more sense than most journalists.

If I read an accident report and comment on a forum, "Oh yikes -- I fly that type, I wonder what the problem was?", most pilots would recognise that for a reasonable healthy curiosity.

Having it appear in press as "Leia Fee, pilot of the same aircraft as the victim of the crash, said today that she was now worried about flying the type" -- with my real name to add extra "authenticity" to a complete misquoting does NOT appeal. I'd rather the press would have to leave it off, or admit they don't really know me from Adam.

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Eve?

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

I thought I'd speak up for we "vertically challenged" members after all you 5'10" guys posted.

Peter, I see where you are coming from, legal wise & the desire to protect our Association, but what I don't understand is that if the LAA know who the user names belong to, why we need to publish real names. Surely if the person can be so traced & held to account, if necessary, the end result is the same: accountability.

Bob F
AKA Bob Farrell in the real world
Only just 5'3"

pillpoppinpilot

Post by pillpoppinpilot » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Personally I don't really mind either way as I'm unlikely to post anything contencious - not being a revolutionary. However if you want to stifel comment and originality it seems to me you're going the right way about it. And where would we be if Rod 1 can't comment?!

Tony Smith also 5ft 10.5 just fitting in my Jodel G-ATIZ Oh me God you can trace me now!

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:48 pm

I too believe that "real names" only help the Press to misquote things with a name to back it up as "authentic".
I also believe that a disclaimer should be all that is required.
I do not believe the LAA can be held to account for the writings of it's membership on a forum. If this is really the case & LAA are legally responsible for the content of posts, then this BB should definately be shut down right now.
I too have a Permit a/c. Am I / we to be held to ransom because of this?
I think the LAA do an extremely good job of promoting & assisting flying activities for the many who wouldn't be otherwise able. I do not think it is either justified or remotely necessary to impose rules such as this. If it is, then we really are living in a police state & I can expect the crunch of Jackboots very soon!!