ANONYMITY ON POSTINGS TO END.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 am

Good post Mike. This is certainly the accepted wisdom as far as the rest of the UK is concerned. It is no good having power without control and threatening the great unwashed with dire legal retribution is a good way to keep control. :roll:

Rod1

flyin'dutch'

Post by flyin'dutch' » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:02 am

As far as the law is concerned, a very eminent litigation solicitor once told me that in English civil law there was never any black and white, only shades of grey. Experience has shown me that statement is often very true. For any opinion from a barrister supported with case law, there will almost invariably be another barrister with an opposing view also supported with case law. Were that not true, barristers would not be as wealthy as they are!
My granny told me never to speak to strangers.

Come on, attitudes like that serve nothing, we're well informed folks not a bunch of numpties.......

The LAA has chosen to have a BB as one of the communication channels with its members and to set out its stall to potential members.

That requires that they manage is appropriately, if there is a policy change then that needs to be communicated appropriately without some quasi-legalistic mumbo-jumbo and veiled threats.

A communication medium like the BB requires pro-active management by the organisation and some resource, just as an AGM and the magazine do.
Frank Voeten

Trevor Lyons

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/bbs/profile.php?mo

Post by Trevor Lyons » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm

As this post makes evident, I am happy to reveal my true identity; although I rather liked my username, which was derived from my Super2.
Last edited by Trevor Lyons on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly "arriviste" (ARV-ist!)

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Come on everyone – let’s get this into perspective:
1. The LAA isn’t restricting freedom of speech
2. You can continue to post what you wish within the normally accepted bounds of what is considered to be appropriate, not misleading or potentially libellous and not to bring the LAA into disrepute.
3. The BB has a GLOBAL audience; what you write is visible to EVERYONE, not just LAA membership. Surely it’s in everyone’s interests to choose their words carefully?
4. Asking you to add your real name to your posting is hardly “1984 Big Brother” stuff.
5. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me at all to do what has been requested. For those with genuine professional or business reasons who can’t post with their real name a sensible solution has been proposed.

I am a member of the LAA as they allow me to own, fly, maintain and enjoy my classic aeroplane with minimal fuss, expense, hassle and bureaucracy. They provide me with technical support, guidance and an excellent monthly magazine. Isn’t that why we ALL members?

You have seen from Peter Harvey’s long post all the things the LAA is currently investigating, fighting and consulting on for us, the membership. Let’s not waste any more of his and the EC’s time on this. There are far more important things for them to spend their time on.
Tony Nowak

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Dear Tickner (could you confirm if that is surname or christian name)?

I asked John our moderator to politely pm you. Tickner was too cryptic and I missed it. It would appear we both did. I apologise.

The posting sent to you was as follows:

'Can I remind you that you should now be using your real name on the forum. You can either put it as a "signature" by going to your profile and entering it in the appropriate place or send me a PM with it and I will see that your username is changed.
I really do not want to get to the stage of deleting posts so your compliance would be much appreciated.'

Rather a different level of encouragement than might be implied by your latest post.

Peter Harvey

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 am

post removed
Last edited by J.C. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cook

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:10 am

I heartily concur with J.C's. sentiments.

Persistently under a pseudonym related, one supposes, to his Principality this individual has succeeded in tarring all Welshmen with the brush of surliness & backbiting.

Rarely indeed do his paranoidal writings contribute much.
Perhaps in another life he's the sweetest of folk but...........

flyin'dutch'

Post by flyin'dutch' » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:29 am

To ask people to put their name in their 'handle' or signature, fair enough, but to question their name when they do so is a faux pas.
Frank Voeten

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 pm

.. "this individual has succeeded in tarring all Welshmen with the brush of surliness & backbiting."

Mike. Not quite sure what you meant by that comment. Does that include me?

PS Testing to see if my name has been changed
Rob Thomas

flyin'dutch'

Post by flyin'dutch' » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:33 pm

mikehallam wrote:I heartily concur with J.C's. sentiments.

Persistently under a pseudonym related, one supposes, to his Principality this individual has succeeded in tarring all Welshmen with the brush of surliness & backbiting.

Rarely indeed do his paranoidal writings contribute much.
Perhaps in another life he's the sweetest of folk but...........
This is an interesting post, especially in a thread which was started to eradicate anonymity to protect the LAA from being involved in libellous litigation.

Here is a MikeHallam posting for all to see some pretty stark comments about a fellow LAA member.

Does the fact that Mr Hallam has made his posting under his own name the posting less libellous? I think not.
Frank Voeten

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Just a quick post (I've got some english holiday homes to burn down and some sheep to ravage :roll: ), I noticed that when you post a reply, your 'signature' disappears when you scroll down to re-look at previous postings. Not a problem but I wondered if it might need to be checked out. The names might disappear if the files go into archive?
Rob Thomas