Battery article Jun 21 LA Magazine

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

[email protected]

Battery article Jun 21 LA Magazine

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:14 pm

As promised in the mag a thread on batteries. When preparing the article I uncovered all sorts of opinion and problems so I can’t imagine the membership have nothing to say. Also one of the pictures got missed out, the installation of the lithium battery in my RV6. I can provide it if anyone is interested.
Ian Fraser

B Davies

Re: Battery article Jun 21 LA Magazine

Post by B Davies » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 am

Hi Ian,

I am surprised that there have been no comments. I thought it was a good article. One area I would like to explore is the charging system on Rotax powered aircraft which now represents a large section of our fleet.

The alternator is controlled by a remote regulator that has a fixed voltage of approx. 13.8 volts. This is clearly below the optimum charging voltage for most lithium batteries. I have read about the insertion of a resistor in the voltage sense line to increase the charge voltage. Have you come across this issue?
Brian Davies

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:28 pm

I suspect that the apparent indifference is similar to that experienced everywhere by those seeking or happy to receive feedback*; I'd bet sixpence that many read the article and found it interesting but will not get around to do doing anything as radical as responding to you.

This forum isn't particularly representative of the membership either. Perhaps Brian will have letters in the next edition ...

I was quite impressed by the technology but wasn't convinced I would be exchanging my new battery for one around twice the price. Maybe by the time I need to, they will be cheaper [a woman can dream].

* Or just acknowledgement that someone's efforts have been seen, if not appreciated.
Nic Orchard

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:01 pm

My take is it’s a technology that has its place and can help with certain problems but may create others.
I know of two people who tried one, one in an aircraft for no particular reason that it was neat technology, there was a weight/size bonus but in the end the battery was failing to start the engine, that maybe due to the Rotax charging system. The other was in a high performance car where the battery required to start a high compression V10 was huge and really heavy. The change caused electrical/starting problems but these were resolved with assistance from supplier/manufacturer and the resultant removal of a large weight in between the front wheels has transformed the handling. Ah, there was a third where a larger alternator was fitted and the weight was swapped with the battery to keep the MAUW similar, as the alternator was new technology it charged the new type cells fine.
So they can fix problems but add new ones so most won’t fix something that isn’t broken.
Interested in other folks experiences.
Regards Clive
Clive James

skelly

Post by skelly » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:46 pm

All interesting stuff,

Personally I have faith in good quality high end LIPO4 batteries.
I used them for 10 years in my racebikes and roadbikes using charging and total loss with no problems whatsoever.
I will be fitting one of the Earth X ones to my Kitfox soon.

One important point is to get the correct charging current/voltage correct.
A lot of lithium type batteries like a mosfet type reg-rec, this is what I will be using.

Cheers,
Skelly.
Jon Skelson

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:51 am

I have used LifePO4 batteries for 10 years without problems. The first two instances have been on an old non-Electrical Aircraft with old Continentals so the Batteries just supplied ancillary power but held charge well and were recharged occasionally. Lightweight too.

I now have an SSDR with charging capability and fitted a Lithium Ion Battery. That is extremely light and has great cranking power for 2T engine. Charging is facilitated through KeyWest Rectifier/Regulator and is a perfect match.

The weight saving was significant (Weighs 450 grams) and with a MAUW limit of 300kgs is an important factor.

The Battery is Fulbat FLTX7L LITHIUM ION.

https://www.racing-planet.co.uk/xanario ... 3b0ec9da05

Regards
Gerry

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 am

I have been using an LAA approved EarthX Lithium battery in my Rotax 912 engined aircraft for the last 6years without any problems at all.The aircraft is fully loaded with twin Dynon screens, Autopilot, CS Prop and other electrical goodies etc. The battery weighs only 1.5kg and it works perfectly, There is nothing not to like except the intial cost!

Alan.
Alan Radford

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 am

Alan.
Re your Rotax.
Do you still have the original combined rectifier voltage regulator feeding your Li battery ?
Or is there more gubbins required to keep it happy.
On my S6-116 the large lead acid battery is already in the Rans designed place, at full arm stretch down the fuselage behind the luggage area, necessarily there for C of G.
Thus did you have to add lead to compensate for the lighter battery, or perhaps reposition it in the tail ?
In my case that implies a serious mod. and even longer power cables between battery & starter !

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi Mike,
Bristell NG5 with standard original Rotax 912 Ducati regulator. No extra 'gubbins' needed to keep charge rate happy. EarthX battery mounted on firewall, engine side as per normal.Cof G works out just fine with no added weight adjustment needed in tail. All LAA approved at build time in 2015.
As I said previously so far it has done 6 perfectly happy years without a single issue and although I thought it expensive at £300 when I bought it I would replace with the same again if necessary today.

Hope this helps,

Alan.
Alan Radford