Lonely aircraft

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Condor62

Lonely aircraft

Post by Condor62 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:34 pm

Evening all,
I am quite new to the whole LAA world despite having spent most of my working life in aviation. Since starting flying again after a 24 year gap I am having a whale of a time learning tail wheels and maintenance in a wonderful Condor. I am now on the lookout for a single seat open cockpit semi aerobatic aircraft. I know this is not sensible or even rational but for the sheer joy of flight it looks a great idea. The problem I have is finding one! Amongst the wiser heads on here what is the protocol for tracking one down. I am aware of g-info but that isn’t that accurate, one potential aircraft is still registered to a chap who sold it some time ago. It also feels slightly like cyber stalking! I already spend way too much time looking at Afors. I have looked at a lovely candidate that unfortunately wasn’t aerobatic or spinnable but was told of a lovely Fury in pieces in one of the hangars.
My theory is that there must be a few out there that are probably loved but not used or out of permit unflyable so how do I track one down?

Ian Melville

Re: Lonely aircraft

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:22 am

That is quite a short list of aircraft types, never mind the fact that you have to check out each one to see if it gained aerobatic clearance. May be easier to build one yourself? only kidding :D

I would just meet with owners of suitable types at fly-ins, rally's etc and let it be known you are looking to buy. If there is a type club, join that. Be prepared to wait.
Ian Melville

Condor62

Post by Condor62 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. It is a small list but quality. The problem I guess is the ones that go to fly ins are the active ones. I'm looking for the ones lurking in the back of hangars and workshops. Do you think an advert in the back of the LAA magazine would be worth it?

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:04 pm

There is only one way to find out :D
Ian Melville

Sean McDonald

Post by Sean McDonald » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:28 pm

I decided on a certain make and model of aircraft which I admired. I wrote a speculative letter to a selection of owners, had replied from all but one and have secured what I wanted. If you can narrow it down to a concrete desire you may get lucky like I did.

Condor62

Post by Condor62 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Thanks Sean. I know what I would like and it’s definitely worth some stamps. The worst that could happen is the letter goes in the bin, that and a restraining order.
Cheers Damien

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Good first step might be a 'wanted' ad in the back of Light Aviation.

Often triggers someone who is on the edge of a decision.

S
Stephen Slater

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:51 am

I wrote a letter as per Sean's approach and received a telephone call telling me affirmative on they were thinking of selling. Agreed price and collected.
For another Aircraft I made telephone contact and yet again it worked.
An old fashioned letter has been around a lot longer than email!

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:00 pm

Having been on the receiving end of a couple of these letters that developed into email exchanges, I can assure you most owners understand fully and of course applaud your taste. From each I gather there was a high percentage answering, even if the answer wasn't positive. It also acts as introduction to others in the club (formal or not) should you find that dusty candidate.

On that basis, get writing!
Nic Orchard

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Condor62 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:34 pm
Evening all,
What you need is a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel. Something like this......

Search through GINFO and find an aircraft that meets your requirements, note down the name of the owner (ideally a male, let's call him Mr Smith). Write your letter to him, be sure to mention that you see the Permit expired a few years ago, but 'accidentally' address the envelope to Mrs Smith.

All's fair in love, war and aeroplanes. :D

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Paul like your style!
Gerry

Condor62

Post by Condor62 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Fiendish cunning Paul. I think I may have solved the absence of an aircraft as I have just put a deposit on a lovely Wot. I am now alternating between yippee and what have I done. The transition to my first flight in a single seater is going to be interesting. The LAA leaflet gives some good guidance. I am taking advice from a hugely experienced instructor and trying to sort out some Tiger Moth training to smooth out the difference between a Condor and a Wot.
All of this because I was given a leather flying jacket!!!
Thanks for all the help and advice.

Gerry Holland

Post by Gerry Holland » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:40 am

Good news on getting an Aircraft you want.
First time flight in single seat is thought provoking. Just make sure you have made a mental rehearsal, got a mind on speeds and then commit. It is very exciting!!
Might be worth looking at this YouTube Page and seeing if there is any flying action filmed from cockpit. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=currie+wot
Regards
Gerry