Battery charging

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

GrahamBurley

Battery charging

Post by GrahamBurley » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:33 pm

I currently fly a SkyRanger Swift. This time of year our grass runway is often unserviceable for months at a time, resulting in the battery losing charge. I normally remove the battery and charge it on the workbench but I am wondering if I could charge it insitu via the fitted 'cigarette lighter' socket. Any thoughts on the subject?

Ian Melville

Re: Battery charging

Post by Ian Melville » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:26 am

Not knowing you wiring layout I could not be sure if that was a valid method. Fag lighter sockets arn't the most reliable connection anyway. Does it even work with the master switch off?
Do you have mains electrickery in you hangar? Or can rig up solar charger(poor second choice). I would connect a dedicated lead to the battery and use a battery maintainer. I am asuming the battery can be isolated by a master switch or fuse?
Using a standard charger will mean a trip back to the hangar once the charge is complete. Do not keep a standard charger on beyond completing the charge.
I use a CTEK MSX7.0 for my small battery(12v 7Ah for radio only), you will need something with a bit more grunt. Make sure your choice is correct for the type of battery you use.
Ian Melville

mike newall

Re: Battery charging

Post by mike newall » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:53 am

Depends on what type of battery you have.

Std vented or valved wet batteries will discharge relatively quickly, but will take charge from a cheapo charger.

If you are on an AGM battery such as an Odyssey, they have a dedicated float charger, usually an Optimate or equivalent and they can be left on for long periods of time.

Easiest way is to make a short harness with ring terminals on the battery end and a good quality Molex or similar 2 pin connector tie wrapped to a piece of structure. That way an external charger can be quickly connected and disconnected. You can get weatherproof connectors from the boaty type people.