LAA Grass Roots Fly-In at Popham

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Clive

LAA Grass Roots Fly-In at Popham

Post by Clive » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:42 pm

I've just had the E mail and bought a slot for the Friday on the Eventbrite website. A couple of friends have also 'bought' slots. I was wondering how it's going to work regarding the slots and the days and potentially the weather? Maybe someone from the LAA rally team could explain?

Are the slots limited to space the arrivals out?
Are the slots limited to restrict the total amount of visitors by air?
Popham has a limit unlike Sywell etc, when the May microlight event is on and the weather is good, like this year the place fills up.
I don't know what the limit is but it's not like the big locations where the parking is bigger than even the record numbers of aircraft that have flown in.

I bought a three day ground ticket as well in case I drive in, are those limited?

I imagine camping is allowed, by the plane? Elsewhere on the site?

Maybe there's more info to come or it's posted elsewhere?

Looking forward to it and hope to help set up on Thursday as usual. Regards, Clive
Clive James

djtaylor

Re: LAA Grass Roots Fly-In at Popham

Post by djtaylor » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:15 pm

I too have bought a landing slot but I have not bought a ticket as I assumed that it was not needed for an arrival by air but the landing slot could be used for an arrival by road. It is not immediately clear from the Everbrite website.
David Taylor

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:04 pm

I never thought of using the fly in slot to get through the gate but I don’t mind the LAA getting a few extra quid as they save me loads every year.
Maybe access by road with a fly-in ticket could also be clarified.
Regards Clive
Clive James

Clive

Post by Clive » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:02 pm

I've just done what I should have done before and read the News Page on the LAA website. To save you going over there here's what it says about the Rally:

The weekend will be focused on the 03/21 runway with a large adjacent exhibition area, Speaker’s Corner, dedicated LAA aircraft park, camp site and car park for those arriving by road. Among the other regular attractions will be a single, large exhibitor marquee, sponsored by LAS Aero Spares and external exhibitor displays. A full list of exhibitors will be available via the LAA website prior to the event.

As always, flying into the event remains part of the experience. In keeping with the Grass Roots theme Popham will be adopting its standard arrivals and departures procedures, with pre-booking only, based upon timed ‘windows’ rather than individual timed slots. Once again a fly-in booking will allow access to the event by road, if a pilot is unable to fly. Full details of procedures will be made available via the usual publications, the LAA and Popham websites.
------------------------------------------------------
So that suggests one runway will be closed from the outset to give the extra space needed for the event. Think that will work well though Popham's 'standard arrivals' is usually rather exciting so hopefully the 'cutting in when you get fed up of the long downwind' and the 'orbiting on final' will be omitted for this event. :wink:
Clive James