Time for an update please.....

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

mike newall

Time for an update please.....

Post by mike newall » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:02 pm

I have had several chats, texts, calls from people who are experiencing major delays in basic admin stuff.

Permit to test

Initial permit

Etc.

We are a members association, we pay our dues and we pay a lot to Engineering for admin services, yet we hear tales of delays, delays, delays.

I am not criticising, I am asking that someone please explains why these delays are occurring, what steps are being put in pace to remedy the delays and when we can see a more prompt service please.

Steve Slater

Re: Time for an update please.....

Post by Steve Slater » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi Mike

I agree that (as often in July and August) we are very stretched in our Engineering department in terms of staffing and it has impacted on our speeds of response. Even in a good year, we have around six engineers trying to fulfil the needs of 2,600 aircraft owners, 40 mod or repair schemes each month and currently around 350 permit to fly applications a month too. The size of the engineering team is of course a delicate balance between keeping costs under control and providing the right level of service to keep us all flying and, above all, safe.

This summer we sadly have had one engineer off sick (hopefully back soon) and two others who left for pastures anew. That left us markedly under establishment and recruitment has been slower than expected. That has inevitably meant an overloaded department that hasn't been able to respond as rapidly as we all would like.

If you look in the June magazine there is an excellent, candid, article by our Engineering Director John Ratcliffe, discussing our challenges and our plans to improve performance. That work is well underway. We are just about to welcome our new Chief Inspector and recruitment is underway for another engineer to join our currently depleted team.

Finally I would politely take issue with your comment that "we pay a lot to Engineering for admin services". One of our priorities is to offer the lowest cost base for our services. If you want to compare, take a look at the CAA fees and charges for comparable services!

Steve
Stephen Slater

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Posted my permit application off on Sunday night and on Thursday received my PtF, even though there was a minor issue and there is extra paperwork as its an old EASA PtF, now a CAA one overseen by LAA.

Outstanding - thankyou.
John Luck

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:01 pm

I wasn't criticising, I was observing local issues.

Anyhow, it looks like Francis is back and expediting things !

Our permit to test is now issued, just as the weather breaks - temps p1ss..... :mrgreen: