FINAL COUNTDOWN TO POPHAM

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Steve Slater

FINAL COUNTDOWN TO POPHAM

Post by Steve Slater » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:50 pm

10, 9, 8…..POPHAM IS GO!

Ten days and counting.....

The LAA’s annual event will open its doors to fly in and drive in visitors on Friday 2nd, Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th September, combining many of the traditional features with an exciting new location.

• INDOOR AND OUTDOOR EXHIBITORS. All our spaces have been sold out! (A full list will be on our website shortly).

• The MAIN EXHIBITION MARQUEE is this year sponsored by LAS Aero, who will have a wide range of stock available at special show prices. They’d also like to remind customers that orders placed before 12pm Wednesday 31st August can be collected FOC from their stand at the fly-in.

• LAA SPEAKERS CORNER, sponsored by Garmin, will be hosting a wide range of experts on Friday and Saturday, including the CAA, Skydemon, Garmin, GASCo and PilotAware, as well as presentations on New Types joining the LAA fleet, Continental Touring with Dave White and ‘Drawing the Queens Head’ by Amy Whitewick.

• FLYING IN. All pilots must book a slot to fly into the LAA's Grass Roots Fly-in. The slot system (run by Popham Airfield) is now live. You must read a copy of the Pilot Briefing Notes. Both documents can be found at https://bit.ly/3AFWWSj.

• COMING IN BY ROAD. Popham Airfield is adjacent to the A303, between Basingstoke and Andover. Car parking is free and will be signposted from the airfield entrance. Address for sat navs is Popham Airfield, Coxford Down, Winchester, SO21 3BD. A limited number of on-site camping places remain available, see the LAA website for booking information and more details.

• OTHER ATTRACTIONS. “THE APRON” AIRCRAFT PARK is set to accommodate up to 300 aircraft each day. Supported by the North Weald Marshallers and the Popham Marshalling Team. We will continue our tradition of offering AIRSIDE ACCESS - a unique opportunity to inspect the aircraft and chat with the owners.

• Hands-on activities will include a GASCo PREFLIGHT PREFLIGHT HINTS and TIPS, a chance to learn or practice fabric covering skills with AIRCRAFT COVERINGS, while the LAA FLEA MARKET will allow visitors to sell those unwanted parts or buy yourself a bargain! Our outside catering area will offer a selection of fast-food and beverage outlets and seating area, while an evening barbeque will be offered at the Spitfire Flying Club clubhouse.

Said LAA Chairman Eryl Smith: “The LAA Grass Roots Fly In” is all set to deliver our aims, a great, fun, event making the most of Popham’s grass runways and its reputation as one of the most friendly and enthusiastic airfields in the country. It will offer members and guests alike a great weekend at the start of September”.

For further information, please contact [email protected]
24th August 2022.
Stephen Slater

Bill McCarthy

Re: FINAL COUNTDOWN TO POPHAM

Post by Bill McCarthy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:57 pm

The rally is getting pushed further and further south making it rather tough for attendees from Orkney and the far north getting there. There are LAA members, believe it or not, in Scotland so how’s about having one at somewhere like Eshott - a “halfway house”.

Steve Slater

Post by Steve Slater » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:28 pm

Fully understand Bill, one of the reason we invested a lot of effort in Perth and the Scottish Tour event this year.

Given the late unavailability of Sywell to us this year, Popham offered a location where we can make a smaller event a success. We'll look into other venues soon, but our focus for the moment is ensuring Popham can live up to our traditions!
Stephen Slater

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:06 pm

Just for the hard of thinking - me, do we need to book both a slot and pay 12.50, plus a one day entry fee 10.00 ?
John Luck

Felipe Vizoso

Post by Felipe Vizoso » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:30 am

I've booked a rally fly-in slot but the aeroplane is "unfit to travel". Try as I might, I can't find any way of "un-booking" my slot. Can anyone on here advise"

Thanks

Felipe Vizoso

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:55 am

Flying John wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:06 pm
Just for the hard of thinking - me, do we need to book both a slot and pay 12.50, plus a one day entry fee 10.00 ?
Your landing fee of £12.50 includes the entrance fee for yourself and your passengers:-
One landing fee of £12.50 covers admission for all on board for a single landing and stay of up to three days and camping by your aircraft.
£12.50 for all 3 days.
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... -fees.html

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:02 am

Felipe Vizoso wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:30 am
I've booked a rally fly-in slot but the aeroplane is "unfit to travel". Try as I might, I can't find any way of "un-booking" my slot. Can anyone on here advise"
On your email confirming your ticket purchase there is a link "View and manage your tickets". If you follow that link you can cancel your purchase and obtain a refund which should also cancel your "slot".

Felipe Vizoso

Post by Felipe Vizoso » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:41 am

John, thanks for the prompt response. I was unclear - I'm going to brave the A303 and go by road. I just want to release the landing slot for someone else.

Flying John

Post by Flying John » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:15 am

John Dean wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:55 am
Flying John wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:06 pm
Your landing fee of £12.50 includes the entrance fee for yourself and your passengers:-
One landing fee of £12.50 covers admission for all on board for a single landing and stay of up to three days and camping by your aircraft.
£12.50 for all 3 days.
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... -fees.html
Thankyou John - Couldn't see that for looking !
John Luck

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Is there any more detail on facilities for people camping with their aircraft?
i.e.:
Proximity of toilet and washing facilities.
Drinking water
Catering inc. supper & breakfast
Mark Albery