8%
lets club round to buy Brian a box of chocolates
4%

Total votes: 25

Pete

Anonymity

Post by Pete » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 am

Well that worked folks.

2 new posts today ( excluding Johns locked msg and this one ).

I am really puzzled by exactly what has got everybody so wound up, just create a members only chat forum where folks can rant until they lose their medical and all will be well.

Are we big boys and girls or are we precious little princesses, both Brian and Mach2 have not been slow in flaming members in the past, so I find it rather rich that they are now both in the little princess class. Mach2 made it clear that he thought this BB was a waste of time in his very first post to this BB, so I would guess that within the EC they have a self fulfilling prophesy.
Is it a coincidence that the 2 known EC members dropped off the BB within a few hours of each other, has the EC snobbery got to them, has the "I have no time for that bunch of wingers" cant finally been turned into an (in)formal EC resolution to get rid of the BB
Peter Diffey

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 am

As an old time ex-member recently returned to the fold, may I have a say on the matter.

I was at one time a moderator on a type specific aviation Yahoo group forum and from time to time had to deal with sensitive posts that could have been regarded as libellous or just plain rude.

I used my "powers" as moderator fairly and firmly with the group's reputation being my ultimate goal when decision making. Yes, a few feathers got ruffled on the way but that was expected and on the whole the rest of the group membership backed my decisions.

I am also a member of a type specific classic car club that used to have it's own forum which continuously failed the membership due to concerns over libel and other postings that the moderators of that forum thought needed dealing with in an over zealous fashion and it was inevitable that an unofficial forum would eventually be set up.

The "independant" forum went from strength to strength and before long the "official" forum saw no postings at all.

Many discussions took place between the club's exec committee and the "independant" forum's owner and in the end the club excepted the fact that the membership preferred having a forum that was independant of the club and from that point in time, the club and it's membership were no longer at loggerheads over how the forum was administered and controlled.

The "new" forum (open to all) has gone from strength to strength and is testimony to how a forum's membership can be trusted to behave themselves and if an iron fist has to be used occassionally, it is not the clubs doing but that of the members themselves.
Roger Callow

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

welshman wrote: I'm not suggesting that this is the situation in the LAA, but it is very noticable that the nominations for commitee members seem to be kept very much in house.
Welshman old chap I don't believe the Americans actually landed on the moon but I can' t hold a candle to you. Until only a few of years ago EC ran with vacancies so all anyone had to do to get on it was get nominated and turn up!! I really think you should inquire if you can go along to observe one of the meetings. Perhaps when you have met some EC members and see what they do for you your mind will be at peace.

Steve

Mike Mold

Post by Mike Mold » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Better still Welshman,
Start a South Wales Strut (10 members?), put yourself up for Co-ordinator or NC rep (to objectively reflect your motivation and their opinions) and then come to the NC meetings to meet your countersparts from all over the country who represent the grass-roots members. You'll also meet the Chairman and EC members who attend to report back to the NC and take on board our comments and views. That's how the organisation works!
Mike Mold
Jodel D112 G-BHNL
Watchford Farm, Devon
www.devonstrut.co.uk

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Folks, lets cut to the chase - should we have a member's only forum ?
Peter Diffey

Joe Iszard

Post by Joe Iszard » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Yes - members only!
Joe Iszard

BJ

Post by BJ » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:44 pm

As one of the moderators of the BMAA forum I can say that having a free for all is most undesirable as those who seek a stage are give just that. These people are a tiny minority but they can cause major problems for those who want to use a forum for the purposes it was designed for.

Everyone hates 'control' but these tiny minority need just that for the benefit of the majority.

John Moore
John Moore
BMAA Council Member
Coyote912 - but thinks Flexwings are the best.
My posts must not be taken as being representative of the opinion of the BMAA Council.

Mike Cross
Site Admin

Post by Mike Cross » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:08 am

As a moderator on the AOPA section of the Flyer Forums I have no problem with moderation. I dislike censorship and everyone is entitled to his view providing that it stays within the Forum rules. I also administer two other BBS.

I would not for one moment dream of moderating a post simpy because I disagreed with the views of the poster. The Association should not censor critical comment or dissenting views.

shortfield
When you say
Yes - members only!
Do you mean only members should be able to post but anyone should be able to view (as now) or do you mean only members should be able to view and post?

If the latter, it leads on to the question of what (if anything) should be visible to the public at large.

Possible combinations include sections where:-
1. Anyone can view and post.
2. Anyone can view but only registered users can post.
3. Anyone can view but only registered users who are also members can post.
4. Only registered users who are also members can view and post.

There are a lot more combinations than this, these are just examples.

The way it works is that users divide into categories:-
Guests
Registered Users
Registered Users who are members of groups (e.g. Members)

A Registered User can be a member of more than one group.
The visibility of particular Forums and the ability to post on them can be set according to the status of the user.

Joe Iszard

Post by Joe Iszard » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 am

This is (in my opinion) how it should be;-

4. Only registered users who are also members can view and post.

The LAA is not a group it's an association, should a person wish to show an interest in the LAA - join. then join in!
Joe Iszard

John Dean

Re: Anonymity Poll

Post by John Dean » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:32 pm

HarryH wrote:By the way, does anyone know how I can change my user name
No problem, Harry. It will be changed.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 am

My vote is for a members only forum (although I cant see how to vote!)
Dont agree with Cirrus, non members can still look at the website (which I agree needs to be improved and more welcoming) come to strut meetings, fly-ins etc to find out what the LAA is about before joining, they dont really need to see hangar chat to make up their mind before joining, after all hangar chat is only the thoughts of a small percentage of the membership and not an official representation of the LAA.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

Now after I logged in to post my message, I see how I can vote. Only the results are there if you arent logged in.