Manston Fly In

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Dean

Manston Fly In

Post by John Dean » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:44 pm

From ChampChump in another place.
One for the diary.

Although Manston remains closed to fixed-wing aircraft, the Kent Strut of the LAA has negotiated a Charity Fly-in for Sunday 28th May. There is capacity for rather more than the Strut fleet… :D

We will be supporting a local charity, Martha Trust, shaking buckets and the like.

Full PPR details are to follow; please note this is a one-off event and Manston is closed. A rash of ‘I can’t do that day, may I come on Wednesday?’ requests made direct will compromise this event, so please don’t let anyone you know think that way.

More to follow, soon. :D

Clive

Re: Manston Fly In

Post by Clive » Tue May 02, 2023 2:42 pm

I’d be interested in flying in, always looking to increase my airfield tally. Historic location I’ve flown over numerous times. Same weekend as Spamfield and Kirkbride.
Regards Clive
Clive James

rogcal

Post by rogcal » Sat May 06, 2023 11:26 pm

Been there, done it, etc,.

!963 DHC Chipmunk. Courtesy of RAF, when with Air Training Corp.
Roger Callow

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue May 09, 2023 4:34 pm

Kent Strut co-ordinator, Steve Hoskins, has managed to negotiate with the airport owners at Manston that we can hold our annual strut fly in at Manston. It’s in aid of a local charity called ‘Martha Trust’ which looks after severely mentally and physically handicapped people and gives them a 24/7 home.

The airport owners are very supportive of this event and are happy for it to go large!

With this in mind and a 3km long hard runway and huge grass parking and monster taxiways it would be good to get Manston in your logbook, for those who haven't already, and have a great time whilst raising money for charity.

The only aviation facility still operating there are Polar Helicopters which man the radio (air ground) again they are excited also and will handle radio ops on the day. The onsite RAF Manston History Museum which the Kent strut has formed a relationship with will be involved and hopefully do the catering on the day.

PPR is to be made to Polar Helicopters by phone on 01843 823067 and an information pack for the day will be emailed out to those expressing an interest.
So come along and have a flying social for just £10 landing fee which will go to the charity.
Get your landing slot by calling Polar

Kind regards

Steve Hoskins
LAA Kent Strut
Coordinator