Avionics malaise

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Hap Hazard

Avionics malaise

Post by Hap Hazard » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:57 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum really, so here goes....

I have brought a new project that I wish to add some kit to the instrument panel, however I only have a basic knowledge of what can do what, when.

The aircraft is currently fitted with a MGL Discovery Lite iEFIS system and is fitted with a Trig TT21 Transponder. In order to view my conspicuousness with other ADSB out users, I am looking to install PilotAware Rosetta, which also gives me access to TAF's etc.

I also need to buy some form of moving map and have the AvMap EKP-V Navigator high on my list. Does anyone know if PilotAware can talk to the AvMap Navigator and can AvMap Navigator also support traffic presentations and TAF text's?

If not is there any other recommendations of a moving map that can tie in all the features I am after in one instrument?

Regards,
HH

Taildra99er

Re: Avionics malaise

Post by Taildra99er » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:47 am

Had an EKP-V in my previous aircraft. It was ok but quite clunky to use and, of course you need to source and pay for updates. It did have a traffice display capability, but I never wired it to my PAw. I only used it as a backup and to enter a route for the autopilot to follow. A much better solution, in my opinion, would be a tablet device running Skydemon. As well as being an excellent planning and navigation tool, it can display your traffic information from PAw and provide access to your TAFs. Map updates are include in your subscription.
Christopher Knight

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:55 am

Hi HH, this forum is very quiet and not much goes in here.
If you were to post the question above on a number I’d other forums you would be bombarded with opinion on what to do next.
As a happy accident though the only advice you have been given thus far is the correct advice and one I would support.
You have already made the best choice of EC detection equipment in the Pilot Aware (PAW). There are others which do stuff but as an early adopter and continual user of PAW (all over Europe) I think I made the correct decision also. I have watched the EC world develop in the last 7 years and still think my PAW was a good choice.
So that’s my PAW plug sorted onto my plug/support for SkyDemon. Although you don’t need any moving map system to display the PAW traffic SkyD does a great job of this as well as being a great moving map with a myriad of great features for your flying.
True SkyD does need a subscription paying but I feel given all I get from it, it has really become my one stop utility for flight planning and flying, it pays for itself with its support of my aviation.
So, all you’ll need is a cheap tablet(or as much as you want to spend) of your preffered tech and you can use it to fulfill your needs. I actually use a £40 android as my ‘larger’ display for SkyD and supplement it with my iphone for interrogation of the map/SkyD data information.
SkyD let’s you use 2 devices and they can both run from the PAW for the traffic etc.
If it was your preference you can then run one device as a moving map and the other as the radar type screen for the traffic. My phone also connects to my headset for the audible warnings.

Regarding Installation in your aircraft. A tablet can take up a lot of unnecessary space especially in a smaller panel. Both my devices are held on phone stands that are ‘suckered’ to the panel on arms. The suckers only need a 3” space on the panel then the device can be positioned so as not to stop you seeing anything else in your panel. In fact one of my phone holders is actually suckered to the aircraft and doesn’t interfere with the panel at all.
To run these without battery anxiety you will need a reasonable quality 5 volt socket of course which can be fitted to your panel, the aircraft or even under the panel out of sight. You will of course need a cigarette lighter type socket for the power bullet for your PAW, this too can be put out of sight although panel mounting is nice as it’s easy to reboot the PAW as I have had to do on the odd occasion on start up.
Don’t forget you can check your own conspicuity using the PAW Vector website where if you put in your transponder code the vector diagram shows you your ADSB put signal is performing. See https://www.pilotaware.com/analysis/vector
Have fun with your new machine.
Regards Clive
P.S. if you are not yet fully familiar with the features of the PAW, explore their website for explanations of the SkyGrid and the Atom networks.
Clive James

Hap Hazard

Post by Hap Hazard » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys…it helps to get me another step closer….

HH