Jodel 1050

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

WBerry

Jodel 1050

Post by WBerry » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:43 pm

As you may be aware from my previous posting, I've started an a/c group based in the midlands.

We fancied a Jodel 1050, but the one we were showing interest in has gone and got itself sold. The thing is, I haven't even seen one close up in the flesh. Is there any kind heart out there with a 1050 who would fancy showing me/us around it. There'd be a pint in it for you!

Will.

David Hardaker

Post by David Hardaker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Will
Before you go all out for the trusty Condor, you should have at least sampled a Jodel 1050 or 117. Jodels are more efficient all round, good stol performance and a 1050 will do 120 mph give or take a mph.
They are excellent tourers, carry 25 gallons of fuel, use 4 1/2 to 5 gph.
And they have excellent better pilot visibility.
That pint would be a good investment.
dh

WBerry

Post by WBerry » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 pm

I quite agree Dave. But alas where's an 'eager to show of his plane' pilot when you need one?

In actual fact the 1050 is so good, it costs a lot more than the Condors. And I have recently been v.impressed by a Condor with 250Kg useful load. Plus it was off the ground in <330m on a very wet strip in near nil wind and with ~240Kg load. Not bad at all. Pretty damn good in fact.

I have been in a 117 and found it (how to be tactful) internal compact, for my 6ft body. Apparently the Condor is wider than the 117 or Emeraude, although only a bit more head room than the 117, but as we all know sometimes an extra inch can make all the difference ;) :wink:

Dave Holl

Post by Dave Holl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Will
I have a DR1050 and what a great aircraft it is! ours can cruise at 100kts but it does have a course prop and the climb performance could be better if we went to a fine pitch. I have part owned the aircraft for over 20 years and it has looked afer me well! You are more than welcome to come and have a look or even a flight but I am based in sussex. if you are interested PM me.
Dave Holl

Graham Clark

Jodel 1050

Post by Graham Clark » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Will,
The place to go scouting for a 1050 is on the Yahoo Jodel group web site. Anyone considering selling is probably a reader/contributor.
I can only reiterate what has previously been written about the super qualities of the 1050 (Continental) and 1051 (Potez). I write from many years of delight with my Sicile Record.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 am

As you are looking for a 1050, someone asked me to post this link to a French advert of a homebuilt 1050 for sale in France.

The aircraft is a CNRA in other words it is on the French homebuilt register. The engine has only 200 hours on it since OH.

Here is the link to info on the aircraft plus telephone number.

http://www.pilotes-prives.fr/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3619

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:57 am

If you're looking for French aircraft, or bits thereof, this is a link to the small ads of the RSA: http://www.rsafrance.com/PA/index.php

John Brady

1050 try out

Post by John Brady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Will,

we have a 1050 and you are very welcome to a go in it (guests always say the nicest things) but I am now away until the end of December. Send me a PM then and we can fix something if still needed.

John

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 am

I wouold avoid the Potez engine examples, however, I think some of there problems have been resolved, but parts might be a problem?

Will.

Graham Clark

1051/Potez

Post by Graham Clark » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Having owned a Potez-powered 1051 for 15 years, I must disagree with Will's asessment of the Potez-powered 1051, which is clearly superior in terms of take-off and climb from a short field with 3 POB.
I have had no trouble obtaining spare parts; and the process of doing so has been a pleasurable one.
The Potez has been well sorted by Charles Ollivier: new starter motor location with alternator (in lieu of generator) & ring gear; oil cooler on firewall; Slick mags in lieu of distributor ignition.
I would not dismiss a Jodel just because it has a Potez engine. Mine is definitely not for sale.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Have to say I'm with Will on this one, the Potez just does not compare to the Continental in terms of reliability and parts availablility. Why else would so many have ben junked over the years to be replaced by an O-200? I've certainly never heard of anybody swapping the other way!
Graham, you must take off those rose tinted spectacles, I know for a fact you have had more than a reasonable amount of engine problems over the years. Yes, when they run they have a little more power, but not enough to make the hassle of owning one worthwhile.

WBerry

Post by WBerry » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Is there a fundamental reason you can't drop in a more powerful engine?

Is it true that the 1050 is certified from long experience with those engines rather than having all the calculations you'd need to do if it was a fresh type (hence no-one dropping in a new engine that demanded fresh calculations).?

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 am

There are a number of 1050s in France with bigger engines, O-320 150hp Lycomings for instance, and I believe the designer Jean Delemontez has sanctioned them. The aircraft type is DR1053 I believe. There is also a guy in Holland who has fitted a Subaru conversion of about 160hp, though he considers the work and expense was questionable despite increased performance.
Personally I think the O-200 is the ideal engine for the aircraft. This is a budget 2+2 aircraft that performs very well on 100hp, cruise being around 100knots and fuel burn 5 gallons an hour. More power costs more petrol and although climb performance will improve, cruise speed does not tend to improve drastically. Careful attention to aerodynamic cleanliness would probably yield the same improvement at far less initial and on-going cost.

Dave Holl

Potez powered jodel DR1051

Post by Dave Holl » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:55 am

Gents
Lots of usefull coments so I thought that I would add mine! Our aircraft originallty had the Potez engine we operated the aircraft from a 800yd strip many times with 3 people climb performance was very good and we cruzed easly at 105Kts. we did have a number of problems with the engine and in my opinion the weak link was the ignition , parts for which were like hens teeth, the ignition coils also had a habit of failing. if the engine was carefully set up and points maintained the engine usually started and operated OK.(my hand swinging improved!) We had a spare engine and used the bits off that to keep the engine in the aircraft going but getting parts was troublesome.We had problems with the spark plug threads and cracking of the cylinder barrels and in the end decided to change the engine to an O-200A the conversion went OK (more work than you would think) but the engine has operated just fine starts first time and is reliable but it is very noticible that it does not produce as much power as the O-200 and you need to change the prop to a finer one. The engine has operated for 1500 hours we have had do a top overhaul at 1100. So if you really need the climb performance the Potez is the one to go for especially if you can now fit mags my only concern would be the cylinders as i asume new ones would be unobtainable and any arround would have many hours on them and I would reguly check for barrel cracks(but you could say that for most engines) would I change back? probably not but I did like the potez engine.
Dave :D