Aircraft ID plates.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Too much Christmas pudding and spirit! Stuart is correct, as ever.
Jim.

Jim Gale

Post by Jim Gale » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Too much Christmas pudding and spirit! Stuart is correct, as ever.
Jim.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 am

I must have had too much spirit as well - seeing double now, Jim!

Donald Walker

Post by Donald Walker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 am

In flexwing microlights an oversize washer on the engine frame, stamped with the aircraft's registration, serves as the fireproof plate.

Donald

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 pm

What happens to all the original documents that you have to carry, if it catches fire? do you get fined for non production of documents or should they also be steel instead of paper. Surely a plate of the registration number alone is enough.

macconnacher

Post by macconnacher » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:38 pm

As I have said before only the Registration is required on the plate.

You should never carry the aircrafts log books in the aircraft. In the old days and still in Canada you have to carry a Journey Logbook which in Canada has to be filled in within 20 minutes of arriving at a destination.

In the UK we seem to have dispensed with the concept of Journey Logs.
Stuart Macconnacher

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

While it is a good idea never to carry the original documents, the French require them, so if you go to France you have to carry them.
They want them because they employ a number of people to go around checking aircraft documentation and if you didnt have to carry them in France, then these people would have nothing to do!
When I used to live in France, our local club aircraft used to get held up and inspected now and again, one person got fined because the name of an airfield was spelt wrong and again because letter codes for an instructor were used instead of his full name! Another one got delayed for ages while they looked for the noise certificate on an aircraft that didnt need one!
More of a problem in the south, where they wanted to be more pro-active and show they were doing a good job, otherwise heaven forbid they might get transfered to the frozen north!

As for data plates, you see very few on aircraft, mainly on old Austers or imported French aircraft it seems to me! Ive got one from Vans in my RV6, think its aluminium though and dont think there is one in my Cub at all, seems to fly fine without it!