Open Access to encourage members ?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Will Greenwood

Open Access to encourage members ?

Post by Will Greenwood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 am

Hi All, just to open a debate on should we make the forum and the LAA web pages open to public access ? Obviously we are looking for new members and would this make people join the LAA ? Are we using the full potential of the web to increase our profile and by restricting acess to our forum and pictures etc are we putting people off ? Your comments.
Have brought this topic fwd from a seperate thread.

Will.
Last edited by Will Greenwood on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jangiergiel

Post by jangiergiel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am

I think that the photo section should be available to the public, mainly because it is a pain to try and login to that section. I have tried numerous times and have just given up.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 am

J.C. has it absolutely right, if the PFA ( whhoops LAA ) wants new members, it needs to encourage potential members to be interested in becoming members. A simple way of doing that is to have them explore the website. Free access to websites is the norm on the internet. Those who doubt that go check.

I cannot understand the reasoning behind the fencing building mentality. It seems to have dimished the number of people who visit and use the site, 18 months ago it was an active site with things to say. Now it is a DEAD site.

I am a non flying member who finding increasing difficult to justify to myself paying my annual subs.

Planemike

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 am

There is a clear case that more members would access the photos if it was straightforward to do so. It would also help new members see what we look after so it should be a simple decision.

The WWW has been discussed on this board many times and almost everyone agrees it could be better, but disagree on importance and spending money on it.

With regard to making the forum open to non members, I would think that if 500 people posted on this thread that it was a good idea it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Fortunately I find I care less and less provided I get my permit on time.

Rod1

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Rod1, surely if the mebership increases then more money would be available to make sure your permit arrives on time, however important that may be, but the issue here is finding a way to increase the membership so the LAA continues to thrive. If you ask a newly qualified pilot have they heard of the LAA the answer is probably no, unless they have a friend who is a member, these pilots/enthusiasts are the people who could benefit from the LAA. We all know about the cost effective way we are allowed to operate our aircraft and thus it helps keep us flying.
If you were looking for cost effective flying on the web, the first link to us is on an old page, when you finially get to the new site you can only look in from outside the club, is this the image we want to show ?!! It is not all bad but if we are going to change our name and try and look modern and effective, then being able to look around before you buy is a must in the current market.
The whole idea behind this thread is to generate interest or find a solution to the apparent image that we may have, it is not a scar on the good work done, or a personal objective, just a discussion, pure and simple.

Will.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I think it is interesting that we have such a varied cross section in so few posts, Will is I believe a coach,I am an inspector who just happens to be organising a few fly-ins (and has done so for many years)[ so I think it is fair to say we have a good understanding of what goes on ,day to day,] and we also have the views of owners who attend fly ins and a non flying member.

We are all agreed thus far,(early days -I agree) .This added to the point that all posts have been posative and constructive (not just wingeing for the sake of it) makes this a fairly unique subject so far.
SO WILL SOMEONE ON THE EC PLEASE TAKE THE BALL AND RUN WITH IT ? (PETE?)
John Cook

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I would agree that the Association's website is a very important marketing tool and should be used to full.

However, I do not see that this should preclude a "Members Only" section. I belong to a number of other organisations including the EAA,RSGBand Lions Clubs International.

All these organisations are keen to attract new members and all have a members only section. Are they wrong?

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Ok to move this debate along, yes it would be good to get the access problems sorted, however Stuart has volentereed for the job, and has done it well, the problem with the access is a tempary set back. Don't think we are a closed society, that's a bit harsh, and if we are to open the doors totally, how much do you open them by ? Ok for example, the BB board is for members only, and if somone does something stupid and broadcasts sensitive information at least it can be controlled, or do we go for open access and have anyone commenting on the LAA's behalf...get the picture, it is a fine line to tread.
So looking at the arguements, and correct me if I am wrong, we need a better web profile to attract members, and the members would like easier access to the photo libary. If you are going to join there should be some members area's, i.e, like the BB, engineering, PCS, youth training scheme and a yearly rally etc.
Still it will take alot of resources to do this, so are there other CONSTRUCTIVE idea's or critisum out there? Please note that this is a debate, no hidden agenda, just looking at the question that was asked of us all in the magazine...how do we attract membership
Last edited by Will Greenwood on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 pm

If it is gonna be open. does that mean open for viewing or open for anybody to post.
Whatever is decided- Moderation of posts must be strong or we could end up with a PR disaster
Just my thoughts-ian

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:44 pm

I can see the logic of having a "Members Section", the fact that something more is available (as a member) may just encourage regular non-member viewers of the site to join to see what they are missing. The trick is as they say, leaving them wanting more!

I do feel, though, that a freely accessible photo section could generate more interest than we may be getting now - we all to love to look at photos of aircraft. Could be that the photo section may get some "browsers" back again on a regular basis, then hopefully join. Marketing is a black art, like helicopters!
Bob Farrell

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm

"With regard to making the forum open to non members, I would think that if 500 people posted on this thread that it was a good idea it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Fortunately I find I care less and less provided I get my permit on time."
Very positive and constructive Rod. Well done.
The original idea for the archive was to make low resolution pictures available for everybody to view and high resolution versions available to members only. Maybe we need to up the low res pictures to a sufficient size to give a full screen picture, but retain the hi res files for decent print off shots for members. That would seem to me to resolve the problem to satisfy both camps.

J.C.

Post by J.C. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 am

Yesterday I looked on the "flyer " forum. I've only been looking on there for two weeks.I don't buy Flyer magazine so I am not any sort of "member" and make no financial input to them.I am fully aware of the differences between their forum and the LAA forum (before any one starts).
HOWEVER ...reading a post about flying suits, it transpired that some-one reccomended a shop near to where they lived.It turns out that the shop is near me so I PM'd the poster to see where he lives...250 yds from me for the last 20 years!!!
It also turned out from the conversation and (believe it or not) the recipient of the original post that there are 4 other pilots living in my small village, all of whom hire aircraft.
We have arranged a meeting (in the local pub of course) and they will be invited to the BB fly-ins and you may depend they will be made aware of the benefits of becoming LAA members.

Q.E.D.
John Cook

JonKil

Post by JonKil » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 am

jangiergiel wrote:I think that the photo section should be available to the public, mainly because it is a pain to try and login to that section. I have tried numerous times and have just given up.
Likewise, tried many times to register, just gave up in the end.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 am

Why not consider restructuring the LAA BB to be similar to the shortwingpiper.org website?
http://www.shortwingpipers.org/

Out of their 14 section BB only two are "Member Only" sections.

Tony Nowak