English Proficient

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Tom Hughston

English Proficient

Post by Tom Hughston » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 am

:roll:

Just for the record, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PIGGY BACK LICENSE!
Last edited by Tom Hughston on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tom Hughston

Post by Tom Hughston » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:08 am

Hi David:
Thank you for your reply. For the benefit of the members viewing this site, would you please confirm that you do indeed have a stand alone FAA license?
Thank you.
Regards,
Tom

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Just spoke to said chap and he confirmed that for older, unverified piggyback licences, you need to fill in the verification form and send it to Oklahoma.

I have spoken at length with Tom and he is offering to process the paperwork for £50 which, given that the FAA charge around $65 process fee is very good value.

I am going this route and will report back once it is complete.

Kelvin Denize

Post by Kelvin Denize » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Ok, I have the plastic card with Wilber and friend on it. It was issued on the basis of my JAA PPL last year.

But, it does not have english proficiant on it.....,should I be worried?
Chair of the NW London and Herts strut with a orange PA28. Based at Elstree and loving it.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 pm

This does seem to be easy if you have a stand alone FAA licence, but more difficult if you have an FAA licence based on a UK PPL- because if you want a replacement licence issued with the English Proficiency on it, then you have to go through the same procedure as originally getting the licence issued- inc paying the CAA again to verify that you do have a UK licence.

However, as the FAA licence is issued on the basis of a UK licence which has "English Proficiency" on it, then I would presume that this is good enough. But its easier than that, as you dont need the "English proficiency" on you licence if you arent flying commercially and you dont need it if you fly only in the USA. So as I only use my FAA licence to fly GA aircraft in the USA, I dont need it.

I also found out that I could change my address "online" which meets the FAA requirements for a correct address, but the FAA doesnt require the licence to be re-issued with the new address on it- again with a FAA licence based on a UK licence, to get a re-issue with the new address you have to go through the same procedure as getting the FAA licence issued originally- CAA verification and charge, paperwork to Oklahoma City and visit to FSDO. (unless the likes of Tom can do this?)

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

I just had a PM asking about my comments regarding not needing the "English Proficiency" on your licence if you only use it to fly in the USA.

The relevant document on the FAA website is here:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation ... o08012.pdf

It states in there several times that "English Proficieny" is only required if you operate internationally.

Thus if you only use your pigyback FAA PPL to fly in the USA, you dont need it. But of course if you use your FAA PPL to fly in the UK or eslewhere, you do need it.

Those who still have old paper FAA licences also need to change them to the new plastic credit card style licence, there is a dealine for this too, I think its next year, but dont quote me!

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Am I the only one to appreciate the irony of Americans adjudicating on proficiency in the English Language given the crimes perpetrated against the language by them!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:29 am

Ahhh, Rob - remember.

Mr Webster was commissioned in the 1800's to devise and compile a dictionary for the United States.

This he did in a very competent and thorough manner.

Thus we have UK English and American English - two separate languages.

I do not have a problem as I can speak both - and believe me it is easier talking to the Septics in 'their' language as it is usually quicker ;-)

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:22 pm

My Webster's dictionary defines "septic" as infected by micro-organisms! I used to have septic tank in my back yard, which from time to time I would swear at, but never could carry on a conversation with it!

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm

I asked the question whether I need "English proficiency" on my piggy back FAA Private certificate if I only use it to fly FAA registered aircraft in the USA directly to the FAA just to be sure.
Below is the reply I recieved.
So this confirms that if you only use your FAA certificate to fly N reg in the USA, you do not need the English proficiency endorsement on your licence.

cheers

Nigel

Quote: Reply from FAA:
The language proficiency endorsement on the airman certificate is an ICAO standard; there is no U.S. regulatory requirement for airmen operating U.S.-registered aircraft within the U.S. as required crewmembers to have an English proficiency endorsement on their U.S. airman certificate. There are, however, longstanding FAA requirements for actual English proficiency pertaining to the basic eligibility for a U.S. airman certificate. The current rules in Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 61, 63 and 65 require that the applicant be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
unquote

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:12 pm

To bring this back to the top.

I have now visited the Orlando FSDO with all my documents. The whole process took 30 minutes and was free. I used the letter provided by the FAA at Oklahoma - they don't care which office it is addressed to, provided you have one. This letter is obtained after paying our money grabbing civil servants £40 !

They were as bemused as me at the need or requirement for this exercise, however they did confirm that all paper licences will need replacing before next year.

The difference in renewal depends whether you have sat US exams, or have obtained a US licence based on your UK licence - a 61.75 licence.

If you have sat exams and have a stand alone licence, you can renew on line, if not, you need to use one of the UK based guys or visit a FSDO in the States. If you are planning a visit, I would choose the latter.............

Either way, if you have a paper licence - get it sorted now as it will not be valid after next year whether you speak English or Swahili :roll:

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Mike,

you are right if you have a paper licence you need to do that to get the plastic credit card type licence.

Also if you use the FAA licence to fly outside of the USA you need to renew it to get the English proficiency written on it.

But as I posted above, if like me and a number of other people, you have a UK PPL which you use in the UK and Europe and a (non paper) FAA Private licence only used for flying privately in the USA, you dont need the English proficiency added.

cheers

Nigel