Exit from an inverted low wing aeroplane.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

MikeGodsell

Exit from an inverted low wing aeroplane.

Post by MikeGodsell » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Neil Spooner ending up inverted in his Nipper. Many low wing aeroplanes have an upward opening canopy, which will prevent exit if inverted. Just how difficult is it to smash a lexan or perspex canopy if you need to get out of a crashed aircraft rapidly? Oh and what sort of implement/tool do you need to carry to do the smashing? Anyone have experience of this. :shock:

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Yes. Without something sharp and heavy, Perspex is harder to break than you would think. Suggest a small Axe. Perspex canopies will break easily with an axe but the broken edges are then razor sharp so to get out you need to break away all the perspex trapped in the frame or get cut open crawling out. Forget "life hammers" designed for toughened glass. They are useless on perspex.

Lexan!! forget it.

My 2p

Steve

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Mike, thankfully most aircraft that turn turtle will brake the canopy in the process, the problem will be if there is no roll bar or a high back to support the airframe to give you enough space to crawl out.
In the senario of an engine failure, remeber your drills and turn the fuel off and the electrics before impact, this will lessen the likelyhood of fire, and fly a controlled crash if all else fails. Post impact fires are rare, but can happen.

Will.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:44 am

... and if it doesn't?

I saw a part of a modern Perspex canopy that hadn't shattered enough for escape unaided from the inverted wreck, and it's far thicker than you could punch or kick through. Maybe older canopies are more likely to break as they pick up scratches etc.

MikeGodsell

Post by MikeGodsell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:03 am

Hmnn... I tried to make a hole in a bit of Lexan, with a small hammer. Result bruised knuckles and no hole. :?
EASA are reported to be considering introduction of design requirements to facilitate escape from inverted low wing aircraft. Have not found the relevant docs yet.

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 am

I keep on boarda Smith & Wesson 1st response knife, that has a spring loaded punch bolt and a serated edge knife for prying and cutting.

'Don't know how effective it would be in practice, but probably better than nothing.

Got it on Ebay.
Mark Albery

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 pm

After last night's Watchdog investigation into knives etc available on ebay, that source may be curtailed soon from what ebay said.

steveneale

Post by steveneale » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm

As Welshman says canopy acrylic is easy to crack when working but I've noticed how little the cracks migrate when it does.
In the current cold weather it might shatter better I guess.

Digging and plying with a big knife might do it if you have plenty of
time. You would need to protect your hands or get cut to ribbons.

This is what we carry now:
Another advantage of an axe is that if egress via the canopy is not possible you can hack your way out through the side of the aircraft.

Re Will's point, our canopy was indeed broken on impact with the ground.
But it was unbroken where we needed to crawl out.

Hope this persuades people to get axes.

Steve

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Upside down, hanging in your straps and probably in a confined space does not seem to be conducive to axe swinging.

Perhaps a battery pwred hammer drill ?

When it happened to me the canopy broke and I had to dig my way out (good reason for maintiaining a slim profile) so perhaps a broad axe could double as a spade.
roger breckell