travel protocol

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

tugwilson

travel protocol

Post by tugwilson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Afternoon all,
I would like to take a trip across france into Switzerland and on down through Italy, including Corsica & sicily. Has anyone experience of Italian or Swiss airspace/flying/charts etc.
What permissions and paperwork will I require to enter and fly in these countries?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
regards
Tug

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi Tug, Corsica is part of France, so no customs, but would advise a flight plan for the crossing.

Will.

tugwilson

Post by tugwilson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks Will, I will certainly do that. I have done a little flying in France but know nothing of the italian or swiss scene.
regards
Tug

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

France and Italy have no particular formalities for homebuilts. Factory built permit aircraft may need permission. Avgas is reputedly unreliable in Italy, though I've never had any problems. With Schengen, it's possible to avoid the main airport beaurocracy - though Cuneo is a good option if you're heading that way. Customs is only needed for first stop (and last coming back) between France and UK.

Jepps charts are a reasonable choice for a consistent set of maps for the whole route.

AIPs are all available online, so flight guides aren't really necessary.

Crossing the Alps is great if you're prepared, but you may need to accept delays or an alternative route if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I've done the trip to Italy several times with basic VFR machines and had no particular problems, but only to Northern/Central Italy.
The Mezzo-giorno and beyond may need a bit more planning.

I'd recommend SkywaysDirect for charts, guides etc.
Mark Albery

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:32 pm

BTW.

Is mogas generally available at French fields ?

[Cheaper & better for the 912].

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Mike, no 'fraid not, can't recall seeing it anywhere in France. Good availability in Germany, and Midden Zeeland has it in Holland but not sure about other airfields.
Tug, highly recommend Corsica, but if you are thinking of continuing down to Sardinia then think again. Last I heard they charge a whopping aircraft visitor tax of about £100, worth checking rather than getting ripped off.
I've had no problems in Northern Italy, Cremona is a nice stop in the Po valley, and St Nicolo on the Venetian Lido is only a water taxi ride away from St Mark's square.
If you don't fancy the Alps the Rhone Valley is a good route south, then along the south coast low level route past Nice and Monaco and into Italy. Or drop into Cannes or Le Castellet as a launching point for Corsica. Have a great trip.

davemgill

Post by davemgill » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:35 pm

I remeber seeing mogas for sale at Gap when I was there in 2007.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:54 am

Tug, I loiter in the Naples region quite often, and have just got to know a pilot down there. If you're planning to come this way, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can dig up.

tugwilson

Post by tugwilson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks guy's all good usefull info. Mark, can I contact you by phone for a chat?
Thanks for the tip on Corsica I will look into it. Obviously I have quite a lot of planning and research to do. Not least of all accomodation/camping perhaps.
I can almost taste the pasta
regards
Tug

David Broom

Post by David Broom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Tug
I did a France, Corsica, Rome round trip last July so if you have any specific questions then PM me and I will dig out any information I have. If you are visiting Rome I would recommend Urbe. A secure GA airfield with over 1000 metres of tarmac only 3 kilometres form the city centre with landing and 3 days parking costing less than 20 euros. Budget for the fuel though. Avgas was over 3 euro a litre in July so although the fuel price may have dropped a little the plummeting pound will probably swamp that.