Moving wings

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ChampChump

Moving wings

Post by ChampChump » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm hoping to be in a position to move a pair of Champ wings soon.

The first thought of borrowing a glider trailer was scuppered by the realisation that the wing roots are somewhat wider than most gliders'.

Before I bite the bullet and hire a flat bed trailer and then plan the packing, has anyone any ideas of genius?

I'll settle for less than genius, actually.

Thanks

nic
Nic Orchard

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Do you know anyone with a horsebox?
Is it big enough?
Straw bales are also usefull packing.
Just a thought.

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:31 am

Aren't the wings stood chord upright in a glider trailer?

Peter Harvey

Post by Peter Harvey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 am

An 'open' glider trailer should be perfect. The wings are held vertical, the leading edge supports are usually wide for the older wooden (thick) wings and are usually very adjustable. Most gliding clubs have one knocking around, either club owned, or private. If the Champ wings are one piece, with large dihedral, then it'll be more difficult, since older glider wings are usually straight (at this point I'd normally ask a grown-up in engineering, about the wings, but am posting from home).

Of course, being 'open' you'll want to transport on a dry, not too windy day.
Pete

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am

Boat trailer?

I pay £40 per day for a huge car transporter trailer here in Wales. A Luton Van won't cost much more. Sofa cushions from the skip out the back of DFS (or similar) or from the local corporation tip. Our local council has special lorries that shift large waste items from your home. They might be able to pass you some old cushions for free.
Rob Thomas

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 pm

:arrow: :arrow:
Last edited by Richard Boyton on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Suggest boat trailer will be too harsh on its springs

Lost count of the pairs of wings I have moved over the years by using CAR TYRES. Stand wings upright, leading edge down onto tyres

Off the car rims and laid down flat. Are brilliant for absorbing shock and road bumps. OK for under fuselage as well

Choose your size of tyre depending on weight of a/c etc. Use motor bike tyre to pad between structures

Good luck

Richard

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:30 am

In order to move the Taylorcraft wings I made a support frame in an evening from some old 4x2's which has canvas sheets that support the wing. We strapped that to a car trailer and they travelled very comfortably. Pictures here if it helps http://www.laaeastmidlands.org/strut_ga ... .php?cat=1 The photo of the frame on its own is the design I copied it from, but I used sheets instead of straps to spread the load. The wheels just plug into holes in the base legs and come off when on the trailer. Four of us lifted the whole lot on and off with no difficulty.

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:12 pm

We used an older motorglider trailer (for a Chevvron, I think) to move a complete Evans VP1.

Wings sat on their leading edges (on several cushions) alongside, and carefully roped to, the fuselage.

That worked fine to move the plane from Northern Ireland to Manchester (fuselage) and Stafford (wings). It's back in one piece now!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 am

Bolt to aircraft and fly them to their destination I say! :lol:
________
DESIGN HOST
Last edited by ivanmanley on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iancallier

Post by iancallier » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Do NOT use car tyres -unless you wish to replace leading edges-lounge cushions good-EXCELLENT

Richard Boyton

Post by Richard Boyton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Well you learn something every day

For the last 40 years plus, I have moved countless wings, fuselages, and other parts of aircraft, both wood and metal not over 100s of miles but over 1000s of miles over the length and breadth of this country with never any damage whatsoever with the help of car tyres.

Gliders, PFA types, light aircraft, engines, props (yes big ones with cs units) u/c etal

But I realise now where I've been going wrong. I should have been using cushions

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Not wishing to adjudicate on the cushions/tyres debate, which I'm sure will run and run, I would echo Peter Harvey's suggestion of an open glider trailer: say for a K13.
(What you don't want to do is borrow a closed K13 trailer, borrow a car with a towbar, then drive 70 miles to retrieve your dead-engined syndicate aircraft having been told that its wings were the same as a K13's, only to find that they are bigger and do not fit in said trailer. Grrrr!)

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 am

I recently moved my D9 wing (23'6ish in one piece with bent tips) in a glider trailer, it sat leading edge down on cardboard boxes! They crush nicely and if you leave the bubble wrap in them they dont compact. All from Headcorn's skip too.

So: Cushions, tyres, cardboard boxes.....and of course bubblewrap.....or a canvas hammock (anyone know how many sailors have been damaged in the millions of miles they travelled whilst making this country once mighty? - yes I know the odd ones fell out!))

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:02 am

I slept in a hammock for the first six years of my naval career, including the Royal Yacht, and never fell out once. Slung fore and aft, they are the best sleep ever, no matter the weather !!
Gimme that D9 !