Projects & Mode C Transponders

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Jon

Projects & Mode C Transponders

Post by Jon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm

There was a discussion some time ago about current projects installing Mode C transponders.

Obviously Mode C transponders cannot be fitted after March. The discussion revolved round, what happens if you are currently building, have a Mode C transponder installed in your panel, but the aircraft won't be finished until after March.

Could anyone let me know the consultation that was reached; will the transponder have to be removed?

Thanks,

Jon

John Price

Post by John Price » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:16 pm

If you go to the Mode S consultation doccument and go to Annex J the CAA have given a rather unusual exemption if you are building. :shock:

John Brady

Transponder Installation - The Position On 7 Feb 08

Post by John Brady » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:09 pm

A very topical question and I have some of the answers for builders and those contemplating installing a mode A or A/C transponder.

Background:

An interim note on the Recent Mode S consultation will be on the website shortly (ok don't call me shortly) with a fuller assessment at the end of Feb to coincide with an article I have just written for Light Aviation. We will then publish a full analysis including the issues for other groups in the sport by 1 May so we can respond to the CAA by 31 May which is the deadline.

Builders and those wanting to install Mode A or A/C transponders: Please read this carefully - the consultation says:

If you are a builder who started before 31 March 2008 with an A or A/C transponder you purchased before 31 March 2009, you can apply to the CAA for an exemption valid until 31 March 2012. You will need project registration and a receipt as evidence. You can then fly as if you had mode S until 2012.

But in another place the Consultation also says that anyone can fit a Mode A or A/C transponder in any aircraft at any time in the future and receive a radio licence for it. You can also apply for an exemption valid until 31 Mar 2012 and will then be subject to the same restrictions as any aircraft of similar fit. So prior to 31 March 2012 you fly as if you had mode S and after 2012 you may not be allowed into CAS or TMZ or to fly internationally (depending on the outcome of the consultation).

DAP's staff have confirmed that this interpretation is correct but this morning I wrote to DAP personally to ask him to confirm this because it seems to conflict with something he wrote earlier.

So it appears that if you want to fit a mode A or mode A/C transponder to a new or existing aeroplane you can just get on with it. You will be no worse off than someone with a mode S until 31 Mar 12 and then you may be subject to airspace restrictions.

I have asked Graham Newby to post updates on here when DAP replies because I am away on a beach for 2 weeks. Yipeee

You read it here first folks