AIR TATTOO, FAIRFORD; 16/17 JULY

Let us know if you are organising a Young Aviators Day or any news of past events

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Dave Hall

AIR TATTOO, FAIRFORD; 16/17 JULY

Post by Dave Hall » Wed May 18, 2011 6:59 pm

For several years there has been an LAA stand in the TRI@RIAT section of the show. We share a marquee with Scouts and Daleks, and have activities for kids and one or both of the BaPs on display.

The show attracts a large number of the aviation-minded public and is a good showcase for the LAA. This year it is expected there will be more GA input as the military presence reduces.

If you fancy enjoying the show and giving a hand on the stand enthusiastically promoting the LAA to the public, please contact me ASAP so I can add you to the list for passes. You will need to arrive by 7.30am to drive onto site. We generally stay overnight in a scout hall a few miles away, if that would be helpful.

How about a group of you guys sharing time on the stand and at the show?

You can P-mail me on here, or send an email to [email protected]

Thanks.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Tue May 31, 2011 2:09 am

Hmm, no new messages, no replies here. Guess no-one wants to come to enjoy the show and meet the public to encourage an interest in GA.

Not surprising, I suppose, when LAA marketing didn't even realise the LAA presence at the Royal International Air Tattoo has existed for several years. In the past. we have had a part-built Vans RV and Europa Motorglider on show, with strong support from Wilts Flyers and local LAA members.

Only the Youth & Education component now seems prepared to support this event.

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Tue May 31, 2011 6:49 am

Dave, the marketing committee's view is that YES cover LAA's presence at RIAT.
Like YES the committee is made up of volunteers and there are only so many events we can attend. This year it's Popham (thanks to Andover Strut for doing a great job), Aero Expo (thanks to Dave Hanchett and Royal Berks Strut), Party in the Park at Shuttleworth, the Rally, and The Flying Show at NEC. Add to that providing material for Struts to use at their fly-ins (flags, banners, advertising boards, magazines and merchandise) and we have a reasonable presentation of the Association at the major GA events around the country.
The committee is also looking at a number of other initiatives - like the oft quoted new website, it will happen I promise - improving the new member welcome pack, adding new benefits for members, and getting the LAA message more widely seen at airfields around the country. There isn't a particularly big budget for this, and there are only so many hours that volunteers can spend on it so I'm afraid we have to cut our suit according to the available cloth. I am sorry if not all turning up at RIAT is a disappointment, but I'd like to think you guys will do a great job of waving the LAA flag anyway.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:25 am

Brian,
I wasn't really expecting the marketing guys to come along, but as they had wanted clarification as to whether it was LAA or YES (still a strut of the LAA) and I was able to confirm it is LAA, I kind of hoped there might be some response. Thanks for yours, and I shall no doubt be seeing you and some of the marketing guys at most of those events as well.

It would be nice if some of the Wilts area guys came forward, but maybe none of them come on here. I'll probably have a spare pass or two in case, so by all means put an invite in the mag. somewhere, and I'll try the Wilts Flyers.