Solex 32 PHN-1 Carb Wanted

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

JohnLindsay

Solex 32 PHN-1 Carb Wanted

Post by JohnLindsay » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Has anyone a Solex 32 PHN-1 sidedraft carb that they would be willing to part with? The one fitted to my 1834 VW has a very warped top cover and I am not relishing the prospect of trying to mill it flat!

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 am

How about...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=813512

I'm guessing it is Peter Yeo with the Sonerai?
Rob Thomas

JohnLindsay

Post by JohnLindsay » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Rob/Foggy,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply and point me towards this lead. I have emailed Pete to see if he still has the carb. (Still very new to the LAA and rebuilding VW engines, I had never heard of theSamba.com!)

Kind regards,

John.

P.S. You are truly a mine of information on so many topics. I don't think there has been a question that I have raised on the Forum to date to which you haven't had an answer or some helpful advice. I'd like to buy you a pint but Wales and Essex are a little too far apart to make that a realistic proposition just at present!

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Thanks, John.

Very nice of you to say all that.

I'm pretty much self-taught on this sort of stuff but I have a craving for knowledge and find myself deep into books on any technical subject that passes by. I'm currently into tuning using a wideband Lambda reader so that I can accurately calibrate the needle for my carb (Stromberg CD150 from a Triumph Spitfire) including a simple way of determining the height of the carb piston at any given throttle/load setting. Having spent a pile of money on designing something I found the same article for sale for $200 :roll:
It is fairly accurate. I found that I was getting slight enrichment every 10 seconds and finally discovered that it was due to the float chamber valve opening every ten seconds to top up the chamber, thus adjusting the height of the fuel level by a millimeter or so. Now thats accuracy!!!

If I can help in any way, fee free to ask.

Cheers

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... rshota.jpg
Rob Thomas

JohnLindsay

Post by JohnLindsay » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks again, Foggy. It was indeed Pete Yeo with the Sonerai. He well remembers you and the Fred at Kemble (and also some deal involving a cloth helmet and a radio!).

Pete and I have done a deal of our own and I have secured the Solex carb which is great news because I'm not sure that mine is recoverable without a great deal of work.

So, if there is anyone out there who was very kindly thinking of turning out their workshop to try and find me a carb, thanks ever so much but I believe that I am now sorted. All I need now is more hours in the day to finish the aircraft rebuild!