Hand held mic.

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Noel Howard

Hand held mic.

Post by Noel Howard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:15 pm

I am trying to find a hand held carbon microphone of the type which was used in the C150 in which I leaned to fly some 25 years ago. If I remember, it had a ptt button on the side and was connected via a jack plug and a curly cable.
Noel.

Nigel Ramsay

Post by Nigel Ramsay » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Noel,
I've just got to ask WHY? Is this for authenticity or something?

This is probably not what you are looking for but it's on Ebay - item no 160216173126

Noel Howard

Post by Noel Howard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Hello Nigel,

You might well ask! Its for my VP-1 at Barton Ashes. I wear a bone dome with a dynamic mic. I have an amplifier to boost the mic. signal to a level suitable for my I-Com, but folks complain of weak signal & engine noise. I'm not sure if that is due to low modulation or an inefficient aerial. I have improved the aerial, but with the weather, haven't yet tried it in the air. Also, I thought that the hand mic. might work better - i.e. produce deeper modulation. I could wear my headset without the bone dome, and I might try that, but in the draughty cockpit I could imagine the whole thing being carried away in the wind! I feel happier with the bonedome, in any case.

How are you getting on wherever you are now?

Regards, Noel.

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:53 pm

If I haven't thrown it away I may have one in my box of "Never to be used again aircraft spares"!

However, it is unlikely to fix the problem you are experiencing as it is a carbon mic which is inferior to the dynamic mic you have. Weak transmissions are likely to be due to radio/antenna problems. Low modulation could be mic too far away from your lips when you talk or perhaps the gain needs adjusting. Is the latter adjustable on your radio?

Tony

Mark A

Post by Mark A » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I've just had a quick rummage and dug out a Telex TEL-66C

It was originally attached to a 90 channel valve radio in a very old Cessna.
PM me if you want it.

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:18 am

How about a throat mike -- the kind that strap round the neck and pick up directly from the voicebox? Should cut out the wind noise!

Noel Howard

Post by Noel Howard » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I think most of my problems stem from the noisy and windy environment in the very exposed cockpit of the VP-1. Yesterday, I was flying and although the radio worked in the air, it wasn't good enough. However, on the ground it was really brilliant, though I must admit over a short transmission range. I have a throat mic. which I bought but find unpleasant to wear. I will give that a try next time I fly. In fact talking is quite an effort in the turbulent conditions behind the windscreen. I guess that VP-1s aren't meant to have radios!

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what does PM mean?

Noel.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm

PM = Private Message

Sounds simplistic, but I tend to just throttle back to make transmissions. I know that's not always practical, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to do this when you get used to it. I just have a normal headst mic with a good muff on it placed very close to my mouth.

Ivan

Wayne Mansfield

radio noise

Post by Wayne Mansfield » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Are you using a foam mic cover like those available from Oregon Aero? It makes a world of difference in getting rid of excess wind noise. Otherwise the best hand mic is the old Shure 488T.