Firewall steel sheet

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Firewall steel sheet

Post by Ian Law » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Could anyone recommend a supplier for a small sheet of suitable steel for my firewall.

The plans call for either 0.020 aluminium (& fibrefrax type material, of course), 0.017" Tern (I assume this is similar to galvanised steel) or 0.016" stainless. I have the aluminium sheet (2024T3 etc) and this was going to be my choice. The Bingelis books suggest this should be OK, combined with Fibrefrax.

However, my Inspector prefers stainless. The only U.K. source I can find, LAS, now requires £260 + VAT for a 2x1 metre sheet! Should have coughed up a couple of years ago when the price was a mere(!) £80 or so, I think. Aircraft Spruce are still quoting about $35 for the stainless I need, but I know I shall end up being stung for extortionate shipping and forwarding charges, these days. I have drawn a complete blank in my search for other U.K. suppliers for this very thin gauge. The stainless is the heaviest option, anyway.

I am leaning towards galvanised steel, but cannot find a U.K. supplier for anything near this thin gauge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

mcfadyeanda

Post by mcfadyeanda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Try Knights Strip Metals, if they still exist.

Duncan.

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks, Duncan, I will. The small order could be a problem, but I'll e-mail them.

Ian

Rich Collins

Post by Rich Collins » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:06 am

Ian

You have a PM

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Have you tried PFAMetals.com? Usually very helpful. Peter

Ian Law

Post by Ian Law » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Many thanks, Peter.

I have just discovered, to my amazement, that Light Aero at Okehampton ( near where I live ) will, as Agents of Aircraft Spruce, import the required 0.016" stainless for me - along with other bits and pieces I need - at the catalogue cost, plus VAT. (about $45 for the stainless + VAT!)
I had always assumed, wrongly it seems, that there would have been a stiff mark up of some sort to cover their own importation costs - I know they claim to receive regular shipments in bulk from the Aircraft Spruce in the USA but this largesse surprises me.
So, hopefully my problem is solved.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Ian