Aluminium sheet

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Ian Law

Aluminium sheet

Post by Ian Law » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 am

I'm looking for an offcut of aluminium alloy to repair a carburettor heat box - the top plate has cracked again.

Ideally I need about 1 foot x 6" ( that may be a bit generous) and a minimum of 0.063" thickness for something like 2024/6061.
Thicker would be better, up to around a maximum of 0.125".

The last effort, made from 1.6mm ( 12 gauge?) commercial NS4, has developed cracks and must be replaced.

All I can find on the web in small sizes is 1050 grade.

Goes without saying that I would happily pay for this.

Thanks in anticipation!

Ian

Brian Hope

Re: Aluminium sheet

Post by Brian Hope » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Ian, have you tried Aluminium Warehouse. They stock 5251 which is described as being good for stressed parts. Wide range of sheet thicknesses and you can specify small sizes.

Carb heat boxes on Continentals are made out of fairly light guage steel and give very little trouble, usually just the flap bearings wear and need replacing periodically but the units rarely crack. Maybe going to steel would be a better solution?

Ian Law

Re: Aluminium sheet

Post by Ian Law » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Many thanks Brian and I'll give Aluminium Warehouse a try.

I'm sure steel would be better, but maybe galvanic corrosion would be an issue if I replaced the top plate only, although I should think it would be OK if I primed and painted it thoroughly? - The rest of the box is aluminium as far as I can remember. Think I repaired it in 2007 & I reinforced the holes for the bearings then and had to use primed & painted steel for that.

Ian