Lycoming O-145 parts

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ColinC

Lycoming O-145 parts

Post by ColinC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi,

Am interested in locating any spares or information about sources of spares for a Lycoming O-145.

It would be useful to make contact with anyone who operates one too.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Cheese

tnowak

Re: Lycoming O-145 parts

Post by tnowak » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 am

I think spares are near non-existent now or at least very, very hard to find.
The PIper Vagabond originally used to have that engine fitted but was replaced with the A65 due to being underpowered (I think the Lyc O-145 only outputs 55HP on a good day).

Deltair in Havant have one on display in their foyer but I haven't come across any others in the UK.

You may want to search forums in USA for further info/advice.

Tony Nowak
Tony Nowak

ColinC

Post by ColinC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Tony,

it was the presence of one on the Luton Minor from Breighton in the LAA tent at the Rally that reminded me to ask here.

There was a carb and two cylinder heads for an O-145 on the bring and buy table at the Rally (I bought the Carb, wasn't carrying enough cash for the heads but can contact the owner as I doubt they sold). The owner was actually labelling them as A65 parts when I spotted them but I corrected him and they went on for sale as O-145 parts.

Seeing those did prompt me to think that perhaps other people might have useful parts on their shelves.

I have an O-145 that I do plan to try and rebuild one day as an educational exercise if not to fly. It is obviously very old and has stood for a long time but is in remarkably good condition. It arrived with certain parts missing but, with the acquisition of the carb from the Rally (which is an NAS-2 and used on several old engines) I have managed to source virtually all of those. As you suggested, they are easier to find in the USA but still rare.

I was hoping to get in contact with anyone still operating one too as I would suspect that there will be sources for gaskets, rings etc., that are currently unknown to me that I might get advice about.

regards

Colin
Colin Cheese

tnowak

Post by tnowak » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:32 am

Hi Colin,

I made an enquiry on a US website I occasionally check and asked the question about O-145 spares.
Seems there are probably quite a few hoarders of spares around.
Maybe best to do some internet searching for the engine and suitable forums.
I think Barnstormers has a "wanted" section and seems a very popular website for buying and selling parts.
Have you come up with a list of parts you require?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_O-145
https://www.barnstormers.com/
Tony
Tony Nowak

L21-B

Post by L21-B » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi

Just type Lycoming O-145 in the search function of eBay and all sorts of useful parts for the O-145 will show up.
Jeffrey Owen