Wanted ULTRA WING WALK COATING

Anything in particular you are after? Anything you want to sell under £100?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Richard Mole

Wanted ULTRA WING WALK COATING

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm

Has anyone got a part used tin for sale at a sensible price?
Richard

Leesr

Re: Wanted ULTRA WING WALK COATING

Post by Leesr » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Will regular Randolph wing walk coating suffice?

Or better still, self-adhesive wing walk tape?

Rob
Rob Lees

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:52 pm

I haven't been able to find any written comparison comparing the materials on offer:

For me the most important property is non-slip when wet - I have long-term service experience of self-adhesive strips from 3M. It's not really good enough in that department.

It must have secure adhesion to the wing skin - painted in 2 pack poly in my case

It is also important that the product ages gracefully - not disbonding with age nor with colour fadie.

And of course a modern product may, just may, use superior modern materials with intrinsically better properties for use as a wing walk surface - I recall stirring a pot of oil paint with sharp sand many moons ago as an impecunious apprentice when working on the deck of an old boat. I get the impression that some 'aeronautical' products on sale today have a similar heritage!

You say Randolph products are not as good as 3M adhesive strips?

Ultra wing walk is produced by a company whose main product line is seals.
Seals of various types are retailed by knots2U who also sell Ultra wing walk.

It was first marketed around 2006 I think and is PU based with modern rubber additives - no mention of carborundum or aluminium granules. Knots2U make their living from selling after-market products that are claimed to improve performance and the like. I doubt they would put their reputation on the line by marketing a duff wing walk product.

I can only guess that, at worst, it is likely to be as good as the longer established product lines. But obviously I can't be sure.

It could be a sensible buy, albeit at a premium unit price.
But I don't need a quart (about 1L) of the stuff . More like a dozen or so brushfulls - hence the wanted ad.
Richard

MarkSharp

Post by MarkSharp » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Richard, I have an unopened tin of wing walk paint from LAS. You can have for postage and an undisclosed donation to a charity of your choice. I’ll dig out if interested to see what brand.
PM me

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 am

Hi Mark,
That's very kind - PM sent
Thanks and seasonal greetings
Richard