What is out there?

For discussion on all aspects of the Single Seat De-Regulated, sub 115kg microlight aircraft category.

Moderator: John Dean

Brian Hope

What is out there?

Post by Brian Hope » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Well we now have an SSDR specific tab so let's start using it. I expect there are a number of members working on projects and it would be interesting to hear about what is going on. The category is quite diverse, with flexwings, two and three axis designs and everything from scratch built to high end state of the art kit builts like the proposed e-Go. We have the potential for a lively and interesting discussion group so please let us know what you, or somebody you know, are up to.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

I would like to build an SSDR that can fold down and fit inside an average family car (maybe with some long bits in a bag on the roof, like a hang glider).

Anyone know of any plans or kits, maybe utilising an existing hang glider wing?

Cheers

Simon C
~~~~~~

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 am

The chap that won the LAA innovation prize at the 2009 Ultralight Single Seat Rally had designed his own trike unit along the lines of Flylight's Dragonfly and it came apart so that he could carry it all inside his estate car with the rolled up wing on the roof. A story about it appeared in the BMAA mag, probably June or July '09 issue. I don't think there was any intention to make plans or a kit available, it was his personal one off. Why not check out a number of lightweight trikes and see if you can't adapt one to easy dis-assembly/foldability yourself?

patgardner

Post by patgardner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am

The Flylight Dragonfly will soon be available in kit form at a very reasonable price, I am writing the build manual for Flylight at the moment.

The kit is a more basic version than the production Dragonfly with fixed undercarriage and a 34bhp Simonini Mini 3 engine. I had been looking for a 3 axis SSDR for a while but the simplicity and transportability of this trike won me over, it is very well thought out, strong, light, powerful and with a lovely set of fabric fairings available as an extra.

It folds down smaller than any other trike I have seen and should fit in a reasonable sized estate car. I have ordered a Discus 14T as it is the sweetest handling Hang Glider I have ever flown although most modern gliders with a suitable weight limit should fit .

Please get in touch if you would like any more information.

Simon Clifton

Post by Simon Clifton » Fri May 27, 2011 8:58 pm

After a long time thinking about it, I have invested in a syndicated Dragonfly!

A few points I think are interesting about it:

- It seems expensive, but you can tell where the money goes

- Its definately a powered hanglider (not a microlight), it don't
wanna come down

- No instruments, no fuselage, it reminds me why I like flying - massive
grin factor!

Simon C
~~~~~~