feb 08 mag

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Dean

Post by John Dean » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:46 pm

I agree with Ivan, a hard copy is much easier to read in an armchair than trying to balance a laptop on your knee. When e-paper finally arrives, I may be persuaded otherwise.

Magazine arrived this morning and, as usual, well worth the wait.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:50 pm

I want my mag thru the post. Much as I like online publications, I get a lot of smug self-satisfaction by opening it on the train - especially if sitting next to someone reading Classic & Sports Car ;-)
Peter Diffey

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:47 pm

Remember my suggestion was an “opt out” of a paper mag not a compulsion. I look forward to reading the mag on the train, without having to cart the paper around ( I have to cart the laptop)

Rod1

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Another reason for having an online version (and I agree that this should be an add-on not a substitute) would be that this could start to build into an archive.

Nick Bentley

Post by Nick Bentley » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Count me in for an online version. Because I live within reindeer's breath of the arctic circle (Orkney) I probably won't get my hardcopy before next week. All the bargains in the classifieds will be long gone by then!

leiafee

Post by leiafee » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Got mine today too. Must say even the non-flying housemate cooed over the EZ on the cover!

I keep trying to convince him he CAN afford flying really, so keep drip feeding him the magazines!

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 pm

Sounds like he has got taste.

Dave Moore

Feb '08 mag (Now march '08 Mag)

Post by Dave Moore » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Folks,

It is human nature to whinge when something is wrong, sadly we usually neglect to acknowledge good things.

In the latter vein, may I offer my sincere thanks to Brian, Francis, the other regular contributors and helpers, on producing what has been a consistently excellent magazine.

Moreover, I was slightly sceptical about the promises to improve the magazine, purely because I thought it was damned fine anyway. However, the March issue is superb, "jus' sublime", to quote Para Handy!

For me, the builder of a plastic aeroplane (Europa) with a Rotax engine, planning a wing leveller and having to make a Mode S decision eventually; the March issue had everything. The beefed up Engineering section is excellent. This month's beautifully illustrated, excellently written pieces of prose on the joys and woes of operating the BA Swallow were pure pleasure to read.

You guys & gals are doing a fine job, for which, I for one, am hugely grateful.

Keep up the good work, it's definitely appreciated in this corner of the Frozen North (Aberdeen).

Perhaps, take it as a compliment that some folk get worked up if delivery is a few days late. It's a sign of how much they're looking forward to the magazine.!

Dave M.
Europa Monowheel #550 Builder (A Sisyphean task, if ever there was one.!)
Thousands of hours spent building / Thousands more to go..!

Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Cirrus - hi - good to get diverse feedback - as a previous contributor to the mag I'd be interested in what kind of things you would like to see in the mag.
Regards
Steve

Bob F

Post by Bob F » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Received mine on the 6th. Spot on, worth the wait! Bob F

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:14 am

Well I think the latest mag was spot on!

The new engineering pull out is a great idea and very informative. How could those who are not builders (and those who are) fail to be impressed with the BA Swallow or the Friday 13th articles?

You can't do all and some months are likely to be more flyer than builder, and others vice-versa.

Looking forward to next month already! Well done :D

Ivan
________
starcraft replays
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Iszard

Laa magazine

Post by Joe Iszard » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:05 pm

From my perspective our magazine was spot on, after reading 'Friday 13' I vowed to inspect my spinner very carefully next pre-flight.

The Swallow article mentioned 'heavy ailerons' and 'light breakout force' for the rudder as from a "different generation" Oh no there not! got that on my aeroplane and It's new - wonderful story though!

Then there's page 40, What's that chap wearing on his head, the fellow with the horizontal striped jumper, notice man with hands in pocket - thinking, how does he stand up in a strong wind?

Well done Mr Hope, thank you! :wink:

Joe

Brian Hope

Post by Brian Hope » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments, it is reassuring to know that the magazine is meeting many members' requirements.
We are plannig some major changes over the coming months, and Cirrus that does mean that we will be expanding content to encompass a wider audience flying other than LAA type aircraft.
The plan is to use the magazine very much more as a promotional tool than we have hitherto, so we need to widen its appeal. Let me assure our more 'traditional' members however, that core LAA activities will still be widely covered, we want to add to the content to expand our reader base rather than substitute existing material. The effects of these changes will be more evident from around mid year.
While I'm on, don't forget that I am always on the lookout for material, anything from a small maintainance or build tip to full blown articles. If you are enjoying the magazine it is because your fellow members are putting pen to paper, or more accurately digit to keyboard to share their experiences. You do not have to be a brilliant wordsmith, just get the details down on paper and I can help you knock it into shape.