Any takers?

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ivanmanley

Any takers?

Post by ivanmanley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Well my set of plans are on the way and at least one other BB member has a set ... Anyone else looking to build this pretty little single seater?

Ivan

PS I asked for the CX4 to be added, as being a new type, the BB may provide a useful resource for UK builders 8)
________
pot news
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 pm

I am interested,
I emailed Engineering for status of the project as I am a little confussed as to what investment is needed re Stress calcs etc

So far no reply, so I wonder what the point was of touting for interest in the last PF mag (ie before it became LA)

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi Ian,

There should be no extra costs involved with building the CX4 over any other approved type here. The LAA have accepted the design and it is cleared to build. I had a chat with engineering and this is basically what they said (I didn't think to ask who I was actually speaking to. It wasn't FD, but he was fully aware of the type and their position on it).

Apparently, the reason it doesn't yet show as fully approved is simply that none have yet been built over here. Until one has been completed, series approval is simply "pending". The first built will be monitored for any problems during build and will be the basis for approval for the rest. I have also heard that the LAA will play leapfrog with the first few builds, so that if the first builder is slow and is subsequently overtaken by a later builder, that aircraft then becomes the lead aircraft.

Anyway, all this means is that there should be no problem with building one over here and no extra costs.

Ivan
________
free vaporizer
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am

My plans set and builder's manual arrived Saturday (8 day delivery from the US - not bad!) and they appear comprehensive and clear.

Also, I have been in contact with my Inspector who appears keen and essentially foresees no problems - he believes he has seen one in the US.

Hopefully, I will go over the plans with him this week and get my project application in.

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:30 pm

I rang up to ask for a new project application form or to ask how to register one. I was told that FD hasn't yet written the letter to go out with the registration pack (registration pack? that's new to me). I asked if I could just write in to register the project, but that was "no, we'll take your address and send you out the pack when FD has done the letter. Hmmmm! me >"So there's no hope of registering the project before the March 31st cut off for mode S exeemption" reply > "Errr, no. FD also has to work out the stages required for the build book before we can send out your project pack" :roll:

So whilst I've since learned that the Mode S thing doesn't really matter as you can fit mode C at any time anyway, it does show that new CX4 projects might take a little while to be registered. That doesn't mean you can't get prepared or even started I suppose, but it does show that the one man God (req'd to do all these things personally) at engineering isn't really enough!

Ivan
________
Toyota Voltz specifications
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:49 pm

It was the lack of showing as cleared to build that was raising doubts in my mind. Would have been nice if they had bothered to reply to my email :roll:

I will have to have a serious think about this now :D

Is there any way to pool resourses if there are several on the go at the same time?

Ian

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Is there any way to pool resourses if there are several on the go at the same time?
You're the third person who's mentioned that idea to me ..... hmmmm! I think you may have a point :D

Ivan
________
Tl1000r
Last edited by ivanmanley on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Just been eyeing up the little used lounge, now where can I stuff that sofa

Any mention in the manual as to space required?

BTW I do have a garage full of junk, but the Lounge is warmer :D
Ah! got it Sofa in the garage

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:44 pm

I built much of a FRED in the living room of a farm cottage I lived in at the time ...............................

Then I got married and had to waste time building a workshop outside :evil: Some women have no sense of priority :roll:

Ivan
________
strain index
Last edited by ivanmanley on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 pm

expect you guessed that I don't have such an attachment :lol:

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:56 pm

In that case you'll have no problem building a CX4 will you? :P

Apart from, space, time, money, motivation ... ect ect :twisted:
________
Honda 70 history

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 am

Basically you need a construction table 12" long, 3" wide and approximately 3" high (to suit your own comfortable working height) with a steel angle to one side of the table.

The aircraft is assembled and rigged on this table - just as well I've already made one then :D

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:12 am

just as well I've already made one then
You only got the plans on Saturday ... When's the first flight planned? Two or three months time? :shock: :lol:

Ivan
________
justin bieber

David Hall

Post by David Hall » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Already been in use - just happens to be right size :lol:
Last edited by David Hall on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:59 pm

spotthehall wrote:Basically you need a construction table 12" long, 3" wide and approximately 3" high (to suit your own comfortable working height) with a steel angle to one side of the table.

The aircraft is assembled and rigged on this table - just as well I've already made one then :D
Thanks, the table will fit, but I don't think there is enough space to rig it. That means you need an CX4 sized space around the table (assuming fuz is on the table). That's a big area, must be at least double garage size

BTW I assume you mean ' not " I have bigger ones for my models :lol: