Langar Airfield no go area for LAA

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

john.matcham

Langar Airfield no go area for LAA

Post by john.matcham » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 am

First time I've used the Forum so sorry if I've put this in the wrong place.

I am moving to Barkestone Le Vale which is very near to Langar Airfield. I called them and was told that Light Aircraft were not welcome there as it is a Parachute School only. You can't imagine my disappointment having found it in Pooleys etc.

Can anyone please steer me in the direction of a friendly local airfield to reassemble my Murphy Renegade and where it might eventually live.

Many thanks to all. John

merlin

Post by merlin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:00 am

It is a shame that some parachute operations do not seem able to co-exist.
roger breckell

Adrian Hatton

Post by Adrian Hatton » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:05 am

John,

Hope you do not mind me commenting re Langar.

They are a very busy para dropping centre and operate with several aircraft on busy days (3 Caravans working flat out last time I was there) and whilst you are quite right that they are not able to accept light aircraft to be based there, I have always found them to be very freindly for an occasional (strictly PPR) visit - usually to leave/collect my parachue for a repack.

There are many private strips and GA airfields around your area - if you care to give me a call on 07885 460270 I could put you in touch with a few strip owners if you like.

Regards
Adrian

Jim Alex

Post by Jim Alex » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:19 am

:D I second that, adrian.

David Lewendon

Parachutes and Light aircraft

Post by David Lewendon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm

It's a shame that the two cannot exist together on the same airfield.

In France Vannes, Quiberon and Royan are three airfields that immediately come to mind where parachuting and GA exist at the same airfields without any problems.

Must be something to do with the air molecules in UK airspace that prevent this from happening.

I think that at Vannes alone they probably have more para drops a year than most of the UK sites combined.

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 pm

we have about 30 aircraft, mostly LAA types, based at Hinton in the hedges, which also has a busy parachute center. No problem co-existing with them and the gliding club. Granted we only have one parachute aircraft, as opposed to more at Langar, but it is pretty busy.
There did used to be a couple of LAA types based at Langar, but probably more than 10 years ago.
try Leicester, very friendly and lots of LAA aircrarft there and good rates too. But as others said, many other strips in the area if that suits you better