Flying on TV and radio

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Brian Hope

Flying on TV and radio

Post by Brian Hope » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 am

The author of the bestseller 'Propellerhead', Antony Woodward, has just been on BBC Radio 4's Midweek (repeated tonight, and presumably on iPlayer in due course).

'Woodward is a writer and amateur microlight pilot. Fifteen years ago he took part in the Round Britain Rally, a three day competition flying in flimsy machines around the UK. He crashed and almost killed himself. Having stopped flying for years, Antony attempts to enter the rally again - and face his fears for a BBC Two documentary, 'Wonderland: The Real Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines', being shown on BBC2 next Monday, 23rd Jan, 9.00pm.'

Worth a listen and a watch – his book is a very good read.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Just finished,
That was the worst PR Jobs I have ever seen, The director had just one thing on his mind Danger. It could have been so good and encouraging to Micro- lighting. A really positive spin would have had a lot of people wanting to try.

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Just finished,
That was the worst PR Jobs I have ever seen, The director had just one thing on his mind Danger. It could have been so good and encouraging to Micro- lighting. A really positive spin would have had a lot of people wanting to try.

John Riley

Post by John Riley » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 pm

I really enjoyed it. It showed the diverse characters that enter these events, I saw nothing negative, it did recap an accident 15 years ago, but the guy lived to do it all again, and I'd say he really enjoyed it.
Wonderful stuff.

Kevin Dilks

Post by Kevin Dilks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am

I agree with G.Dawes.
At one stage he goes on about the "severely overloaded "machine, what a prat to say so in public .....wonder if the BMAA watched it too?
To say they are still running chainsaw engines was clearly for the entertainment of it . The over focusing on a young lad who was not enjoying the flying only did the sport harm but also made dull viewing.

Why did they come and look at the LAA rally if they wanted to do a program about " Magnificent men in there flying machines"?

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Well I found it most enjoyable. I Thought that it gave a good feel for the joys of touring the coountry, dropping into small aerodromes in a light aeroplane and the fun, freedom and cameraderie that can be found in so doing.

There was a little bit of over-dramatization but not to the extent that it detracted from the programme overall.

Tony Harrison-Smith

Post by Tony Harrison-Smith » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I enjoyed it. For interest, the young lad who was scared at the start is very close to going solo now. He enjoyed it in the end :-)

ivanmanley

Post by ivanmanley » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 am

Lots about this on other forums.

I thought it was great and well worth watching. I saw nothing that alarmed me too much (other than smoking in the hangar). It came across as gung-ho in places but it made good telly! If they'd concentrated on the more modern microlights and serious pilots it would probably have been rather boring I'm afraid.

Dave Hall

Post by Dave Hall » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 pm

It showed normal (well, fairly normal) people flying inexpensively and enjoying the challenge. Even the youngster from Ireland felt proud of completing the Rally, and will be stronger for having done it.

It also showed there are opportunities for all, and a lot of pleasure in 'getting it right'. There's no harm in it seeming dangerous and exciting - that's why some people take up the activity. You could see the lack of drama in the enclosed 3-axis modern microlights - personally I'd pick those, but it showed there was something for everyone.

They say any publicity is good publicity - how refreshing this publicity wasn't a crash, which is all we usually get as coverage for flying light aircraft.

Bill Scott

Post by Bill Scott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 pm

The results speak for themselves. The BMAA forum is full of reports indicating a surge of interest in microlighting, including increased hits to various websites and bookings for trial lessons. Putting the obvious journalistic licence to one side, I enjoyed it and was reminded of the grass roots fun aspect of the pastime. That is what attracted me over twenty years ago when I had started learning in the Piper Traumahawk. I visited Sutton Meadows and watched a bunch of nutters engaging in various antics including spot landings. I recognised that they had something that was missing in GA. The rest, as they say, is history :wink: