ULPower’s New Six Cylinder Engines Available Now

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ULPower’s New Six Cylinder Engines Available Now

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am

AS Agent for UL Power I thought you might all be interested in the New 6 cylinder Engine range from UL Power, the UL390 and UL520 ranging from 140hp to 200 hp. This adds to the already available 4 cylinder range of UL260i 97, UL260iS 107 hp, UL260iSA Aerobatic 107 hp engine s and the UL350i 118 hp, UL350iS 130hp engines.

ULPower is proud to announce that the range of engines on offer is extended with 4 new types 6-cylinder engines, ranging from 140 hp to 200 hp.

The installed weight of the UL390i and UL390iS is 100Kg [220 lb ] with the UL520i and UL520iS at 108 kg [238 lb] and like the popular UL260 and UL350 line of engines the new engines are direct drive, horizontally opposed, air cooled, electronic ignition, multi-port fuel injection and FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control). The FADEC system controls the fuel/air ratio and ignition from start-up to shutdown so the engine is always operating at optimal performance thereby increasing power and economy while minimizing wear and tear and reducing pilot workload.

The result is startling! Convince yourself by reading specifications below.

All engines have following configuration:
- 7 bearing crankshaft with thrust ball bearing
- Direct drive
- Air cooled
- FADEC
- Multipoint electronic fuel injection with automatic compensation for altitude and temperature
- Redundant dual electronic ignition
- High fuel efficiency
- Excellent power to weight ratio

The UL520i and UL520iS are available now.

The UL390i and UL390iS need more ground tests before we can release them.

Regards
Mark Jones
Galaxy UL Engines Ltd

Richard Mole

Post by Richard Mole » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm most impressed. I have no doubt at all that the best financial margins for the engine manufacturer and for your good self are provided by the sales of the larger engines. And I wish you all the very best of success.

But it would be a real pity, and a lost opportunity to snipe at Rotax, if a small engine isn't added to your range. If the base model was about 45hp then it might be upped to say 60 hp or thereabouts in time.

However good their market research might have been when they decided to launch their 912, I'll bet that Rotax can't believe their luck in the way that the market for their engines has grown so massively.

Its dangerous to suggest that history will repeat itself. But just possibly a 45 hp engine would grow its own market niche, if not quite to the same extent. And there isn't much competition out there from other engine manufacturers.

I well remember that the MC100 was originally designed around a VW type. I heard on the grapevine that Pierre Robin passed on a very early Rotax engine after they decided not to pursue their ATL. I know of course that Dyn Aero have run into the sand but the MCR01 would never have happened at all with a VW derivative. Its a good example of how aircraft market opportunities come along on the back of available engines. No suitable engine then no aircraft; provide the engine and there's a chance aircraft will be designed around them and establish a market that didn't exist beforehand.

Recreational flying is due a step change and would adopt lower powered engines if available, even compared to the 80+ hp engines that have swept the board in recent years. Fuel costs are going to continue skyward on the one hand, and we just don't need the stellar performance now being wrung from modern micolights and LSAs.

Just my two penny worth,

Richard
G TREK
Richard

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 am

Very interesting thoughts, Richard. I've wondered if Jabiru might not step into this sector and open it up -- perhaps with a nice little flat twin engine. Then again, perhaps the LAA engine competition will throw up something interesting!

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

The sweet and simply light Rotax 447 & 503 already provide excellent power for a/c.

But the obesity trend to "bigger and better" still seems to be what the market demands. It's not what is actually necessary perhaps, but the punters feel more secure.
IMHO the Rotax two stroke offers low first cost, proven track record, smoother than the lumpy 4-stoke and so very light it's just the ticket for a single seat a/c. Cost is lower by a big margin too.
[CFM Shadow is two seats & solo flew with the 447 to Australia - so don't discount the 2-stroke !]

So it's not always lack of an certain power engine, but market perception however volatile & mistaken.

Jabiru's early 60 h.p. was not the market leader & had to quickly be uprated to a claimed 80 h.p. before it became acceptable.

People rarely buy single seat a/c - they rarely fly two up either, but the capacity for two people sells and 40 h.p is too little to suit that.

Never mind that the Hillson Praga could on spec. outfly today's a/c, using less fuel and do it two up on 39 h.p.

So perhaps that the route to take ? Reintroduce 1930's technology !

mike hallam.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm sure we'd all be happy with the 447 - if it were still in production!

Nigel Hitchman

Post by Nigel Hitchman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Mark,
thanks for the info. Are all of these new engines able to run on mogas with ethanol?? Or do you need 100LL? or even 91UL?
Im not in the market for one, but would imagine if they can run on mogas and make 200hp that would be a big selling point.

good luck!

ian herdis

Post by ian herdis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:23 am

The RPM seems high they make rated power at 3200 RPM will that limit propeller choice?

Ian

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am

All the engine run on Mogas.

Anything with a S on the end is high compression and will need 98 octane anything without will Run on 95 Octane and 98 Octane. They will all run on 100LL and UL91.

The engines are all 15% Ethenol tollerant.

Best Regards
Mark Jones
Galaxy UL Engines Ltd

David Lewendon

New engines

Post by David Lewendon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:10 am

The dual electronic ignition systems will not go down well withe the LAA as they insist on at least one magneto.

Do UL offer an alternative system?

Bill McCarthy

Post by Bill McCarthy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 pm

I haven't seen a Rotax or a Jabiru yet with a magneto !

G.Dawes

Post by G.Dawes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:07 pm

I think the policy is that of self generating and not dependent upon batteries, magnetos are not the only game in town.
Graham

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:20 pm

The smaller UL Power engines are already flying in Permit aircraft, so the LAA must have overcome its magneto addiction...

Rob Swain

Post by Rob Swain » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 pm

VWs have been flying for years with Leburg electronic ignition.

The 20th Century is slowly coming to aircraft engines.

Hope the 21st will be quicker in arriving!
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.