Anonymity on the Forum ? It doesn't work does it.

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

David Lewendon

Anonymity on the Forum ? It doesn't work does it.

Post by David Lewendon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:53 am

How does this work with say the question about flying a permit a/c to Switzerland when the person asking the question and the responder both use no de plumes?

Looking through several other posts there appear to be many other people who do not use their proper name.

How is that possible?

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 am

Blimey ,, this subject has become something of a hot-potato all of a sudden.

Unfortunately for Mr Moderator, I think the time has come to make the decision once and for all . Whilst I cannot offer Mr S.A. Rudderman much sympathy in his plight on the adjacent posting , it doesn't seem right that he keeps getting stamped on , whilst others , and they know who they are, continue to post using the rather convenient veil of anonymity.

OK, I'm sure that alot of the regular contributors who use nick-names and Handles have no sinister, hidden agenda, but if one of the conditions of this Forum include the use of ones own name, then why should that be a problem. I mean,,if you were to write to your local MP, you wouldn't sign off as 'Snugglebum', or 'Maverick' or Zippy, because he would just bin it wouldn't he ? and quite rightly so !   
k

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am

I have no problem with all posters being required to use their real names.
If I don't know who you are then why should I take you seriously?
The current situation where noms de plume are permitted with the poster's name appended to the end of the posting is satisfactory but not necessary if the above requirement were to be adhered to.
I feel that this improves the "openness and transparency"
(sorry) of the association and see no reason why it should be otherwise.

Planemike

Post by Planemike » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:29 am

I mean,,if you were to write to your local MP, you wouldn't sign off as 'Snugglebum', or 'Maverick' or Zippy, because he would just bin it wouldn't he ? and quite rightly so !

Nothing to stop you writing to you MP, or any MP come to that, anonymously. Your choice whether you sign your name or not.

Planemike ( aka Michael J BLAkE )
Michael Blake

Jeremy Liber

Post by Jeremy Liber » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 pm

To the usual, and incessant, whingers ... Use your names, get a life and shut up chaps.

.. and Mr Bailes-Brown should follow suit me thinks...

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I have permission to post under the name Rod1 on this forum and this allows me to skate round two sets of rules which I have no control over. It is however not my intention to cause the LAA embarrassment so I have sent a message to our moderator with an offer to cease to post here. If he decides that is for the best then so be it. I hope I have managed to help a few people in the many years I have been active here and I shall be sad to leave.

PB

Post by PB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm

I just stopped posting.

I'm sure this one will be deleted too.....

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 pm

There is much mention of rules. The rules state that;

“Therefore, please change your profile, so your real name is displayed. Either change your user name, or add your real name to your signature. If you have a special reason to retain your anonymity, please contact me at the office.”

I applied for permission and after a review at the highest level, was given permission to carry on posting as Rod1. John has confirmed that position. The rat pack has obviously got a problem with this and I do not wish to cause people embarrassment. I am considering voluntarily withdrawing from posting, but will leave it for 24 hours to think about it.

mikehallam

Post by mikehallam » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Chris,

Many of us are blessed with a couple of Christian names, so we do have some freedom of choice.

I could be Michael Peter and still obey the LAA requirement I guess, because they already accept my distortion of Michael to mike and naughtily hiding my second name.

Shirley there's a neat way round this nonsense, without too much thought or subterfuge to (presumably) protect those in sensitive jobs etc. ?

mike peter !!!

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:10 pm

In the event of somebody needing anonymity for some very good reason that is none of my damn' business, eg security rather than commercial interest, I defer to the wisdom of the moderator.

Paul Hendry-Smith

Post by Paul Hendry-Smith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Mike Peter

I live in a very far flung rural area, the only sensitive job we have locally is the guy who empties cesspits, oh and the artificial inseminator ! !

What sensitive jobs can you come up with that would preclude anybody from posting using their real name??

Closet pilots do exist I am sure but we should all feel we are amongst friends here.

If it is because our employer feels we might give away secrets, well the non disclosure of a name is hardly going to change that issue neither is the use of work computers for private use???

Will somebody please enlighten me, politely of course

Cheers

Paul
If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.
(Bob Hoover)

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 pm

The whole thing has ground to something of a stale-mate hasn't it ?
It really does require a statement from either Mr Moderator, or someone else up there in the ivory tower.
This is neither fishing, nor mending nets !

We have the slightly absurd situation whereby Mr S.A. Rudderman Esq. is not only barred from here, but also unable to access LAA websites Members Area if I understand it correctly. OK , I don't agree with his take on anonymity, but equally ridiculous is the fact that Rod and a few others can come and go as they please .
I don't want to rub salt on Rods wounds, but come on mate, would revealing your proper identity mean you'd have to kill us all ?
This probably isn't the 'liveliest' of forums, but that's nothing to do with if people withhold their identity or not, and probably more attributed to the fact that LAAs membership includes a massive amount of knowledge and experience in all sorts of areas in aviation . That alone is possibly an explanation as to why there isn't the need for the stabbing, slagging, willy-waving and ego-massaging that one sees elsewhere.

Putting ones name to even quite strongly worded posts should present no obstacle whatsoever , I've made one or two for which I am sure Roger Hopkinson would be quite happy to put his hands around my throat for , but I'd far rather air strong views via the correct channels and put my name to them than launch into a load of anonymous bluster which is made completely valueless because people can only speculate who it's from.

Anyway,,Enough,,it's starting to descend into farce now...so

JOHN DEAN,,,,,,COME ON DOWN..
Last edited by Chris Martyr on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 am

I agree with Chris.

Time to put this to bed one way or t'other

Ian Melville

Post by Ian Melville » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:53 am

chris martyr wrote: We have the slightly absurd situation whereby Mr S.A. Rudderman Esq. is not only barred from here, but also unable to access LAAs website, if I understand it correctly.
Where did you get that from?

I though that all he had to do was put his real name in his signature, and the mods would stop deleting his posts? Unless they were offensive of course. Access to the LAA website is not dependent on any forum login.

[EDIT] I have been contacted offline to explain the situation

Rod1

Post by Rod1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 am

OK Paul and others I give up. I will voluntarily restrict rod1 to posting answers to technical questions and forum fly in stuff. After over 550 posts and having organized several forum flyins at least I can say I have made a positive contribution.

Rod1 out :cry: