BFR

For full information concerning the Coaching scheme please see the LAA web site.
Chairman of Pilot Coaching Scheme : David Cockburn
National Coach : Chris Thompson

Moderators: PennySharpe, John Dean

Will Greenwood

BFR

Post by Will Greenwood » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi All, out of interest how many of you use the LAA/PCS for your Bi-Annual ? Or don't you know that you can use the PCS for this service £35 for the 1hr revalidation flight in your aircraft.

Many Thanks Will.

flyin'dutch'

Post by flyin'dutch' » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Will

I think few people now about this.

Couple of things worth mentioning.

AFAIK CRIs can be coaches but not all CRIs are CPL holders so can not charge for the flight.

Not sure if you can charge for the instruction if you are not the sole owner or spouse of the aeroplane used
Frank Voeten

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi Frank, those coaches that are registered with the LAA/PCS, have a CAA exemtion and therefore can charge a small fee set by the LAA for the BFR. As well as Bi-annauls we offer a whole host of services and ratings, these can be found under Training in the main LAA web site, from tailwheel to VP prop conversions.
The coaches range from ATPL to experienced PPL, all have CRI ratings or more, hope this answers your questions.

Regards Will.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Up North, few of us charge, we prefer to put something back into the system for a BFR.

Naturally, bacon butties and tea must be provided :D

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Mike, bacon butties and tea... sounds good, one thing forgot to mention was that £10.00 goes to the LAA for paperwork, leaving £25 for the coach, if no butties supplied :-), say hi to Ray when he gets back from his trip.

Will.

mike newall

Post by mike newall » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:08 am

He's back - drank far too much for a man of his age :wink:

We're building RV's tomorrow so I will say Hi !

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Mike, banging rivets, that should clear his head 8) !

If anyone has a question about the PCS Pilot Coaching, post them here and someone will get back to you ASAP.

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Will. If I may take you up on the offer above....

...I haven't flown a taildragger for over 15 years and last flew a light aircraft in about 2000. I have allllllllmost finished an LAA rebuild and need to get to grips with light aircraft, and taildraggers specifically, before I take the plunge and commit aviation in my own toy. Question is (are); Can a PCS chap sign off a revalidation on a long-expired PPL or add it as a 'type' to an ATPL (ie single engined - land) with the grandfather rights of the old PPL......and....does anyone fancy teaching me to 'use my feet again during the landing roll' at an airfield of your choice somewhere not too far from west Cardiff? Something taildragger with handling somewhere like as bad as a FRED would be ideal.
Cheers

Rob
01446 795489

Frank Parker

Post by Frank Parker » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm

I hope you are joking about handling as bad as a FRED! I flew the original courtesey of Eric Clutton at one of our Sywell FFF events, and it was a pleasant ride. Eric, are you reading this out there in Oklahoma?

Will Greenwood

Post by Will Greenwood » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi Guys, have responded to Rob's question about re-newing his rating and the Fred he has rebuilt, hopefully it will be in there air soon and then we can get him in her after some training and a good briefing. Incidentally my first PFA type, as it was then, was a Taylor-Monoplane when i was 17yrs old so converting pilots to single seat LAA types is not quite a black art !

Regards Will LAA/PCS

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:09 am

Parkair. I'd never intentionally upset or offend my beloved FRED (they are very sensitive, y'know!)
The last aeroplane I flew with one engine was a C150, about 15 years ago, and have flown only 757 and 767 since then. By comparison to these, a FRED isn't going to feel like "Man and Machine in perfect harmony" so I need something that is very tail happy to teach me how to deal with the worst-case scenario, especially since I've not received any replies from HQ about my request for approval to fit the fixed-fin modification that is alleged to help stability. I've bought another FRED for a couple of hundred quid to provide enough wood to make the fixed-fin and to provide material for the first few ground loops!
I need some encouragement to "get on with it" and finally fly something interesting again.

PS FRED made it into the Morris Minor Owners' Club magazine a few months ago!
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/ ... moggi2.jpg

pbflyer

Post by pbflyer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm

I checked out your link and those are two very good looking machines. I am sure you will love the FRED and getting back to some proper flying!!!!