Airspace app wins NATS approval

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Pipercubflyer

Airspace app wins NATS approval

Post by Pipercubflyer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:49 pm

UK air traffic control company, NATS, has given its seal of approval to a new app designed to help pilots avoid infringing into controlled airspace.

The UK AirspaceAVOID app from PocketFMS has been awarded the NATS Airspace Awareness Compliance Mark. The mark means that the app meets NATS’ criteria for airspace awareness and infringement prevention.

PocketFMS has developed UK AirspaceAVOID for iOS and Android devices specifically to help pilots flying in the UK to avoid an infringement. Pilots using the app can see their position relative to the airspace around them and get a warning as they approach controlled airspace.

UK AirspaceAVOID also automatically provides the appropriate call sign and frequency to contact the nearest air traffic control service.

The app is free to download and use via http://www.PocketFMS.com/UKAA and the airspace data is updated every 28 days. The latest NOTAMs are also provided by a live link to EuroControl to ensure that pilots always have the latest information available.

Bob Ivison of PocketFMS said: “We are delighted that UK AirspaceAVOID is the first totally free in-flight moving map system to attain the NATS compliance mark. We believe this will go a long way to helping to reduce the number of airspace infringements and helping to keep the sky safer for all.”

In order for a product to receive NATS’ Airspace Awareness Compliance Mark it has to meet certain criteria:

Be low cost (less than £200)
Include a suitable VFR database
Show 3D airspace warnings
Be portable
Provide free updates of airspace in accordance with AIRAC updates

Jonathan Smith, NATS General Aviation Lead, said: “We know from our infringements prevention work that GPS moving map functionality such as UK AirspaceAVOID really helps support the safe and successful execution of VFR flights. We’re delighted to award the team at PocketFMS the NATS Compliance Mark”

The UK AirspaceAVOID app follows the Airbox AWARE iPad and iPhone app as a recipient of the Compliance Mark.
Jonathan Smith
NATS General Aviation Lead

D: 01489 612645
M: 07966 505088
E: [email protected]

Tom Sheppard

Re: Airspace app wins NATS approval

Post by Tom Sheppard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm

It will certainly keep me out of airspace.
I can get no response from it at all.
Although I agree to the terms and conditions, it would appear that I have used 150Mb of my data allowance to download a flash logo. 0/10. :?

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Runs out of memory and jams a Galaxy Ace.

AlanR

Post by AlanR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Best to download it using Wi-Fi then it won't eat into your monthly data allowance. Works fine on my Galaxy Ace 3
Alan Radford

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 am

I loaded this onto my Android phone, which is steam age as these things go (Orange own-brand, running Android 2.something) ... and it seems to work fine. It is slow to start up, so don't give up if the opening screen lingers for a while.

Not as slick as some other software, but pretty good for a freebie.

Tom Sheppard

Post by Tom Sheppard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:59 am

The app developer has told me that it will not run on a Galaxy Ace.