LeBurg ignition

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

John Riley

LeBurg ignition

Post by John Riley » Thu May 21, 2015 3:18 pm

I am starting to connect up my LeBurg ignition, The first problem I've come across is sourcing the HT leads for the coilpacks. The write up says you should not use copper conductor leads, but user carbon.
Where would I get the fittings for the coil and plug ends.
Also would copper conductor leads with a 5k resistive plug cap, be enough resistance to simulate a carbon lead.

I would be grateful for any info on these systems,

Regards
John

VW in Plumb Bi-Plane, G-FUNN,

Nick Allen

Re: LeBurg ignition

Post by Nick Allen » Thu May 21, 2015 6:38 pm

You could try this guy (recommended by some car sites):

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/mrretroleadsplugs/

Or

http://www.performanceleads.co.uk

(Does this mean the Plumb two-ship formation is nigh?)

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Thu May 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello John,
Are you using the standard type 1 VW spark plugs ? Also, are you using the Ford Zetec type ignition coils.
If the answer to both of the above is yes, then you should be able to obtain carbon/silicone type HT leads at most decent automotive suppliers.
They should have the standard type push-on plug insulation caps and standard fitment segments that push into your ign. coils already fitted.
They also come in a variety of different lengths. On my 1834cc VW I have an ign. coil on the top left side of the firewall with two shortish HT cables going to the LH lower cylinders and two longer HT leads going to the going to the RH upper cylinders. Same thing on the RH side , except the other way round.
Interesting to see another BGP Bi-Plane being built by the way .

John Riley

Post by John Riley » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks Nick and Chris, I was hoping to use copper wire leads with resistor caps so I could make my own, looks like I will have to buy them ready made.

I'm using the standard kit supplied by Dave Mickleburg, yes the Bi-Plane has been awhile in the making.
I've completed a fuel flow check, just a few more wires and I should be breathing some life into the Vdub.
I'm hoping to fly it into the Rally this year, if I don't it won't be for the want of trying.

Here is a pic taken last year in my back garden with my inspector Pat Barker.

Thanks again for the info.

Rob Swain

Re: Leburg ignition

Post by Rob Swain » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Copper a definite no-no.

Shouldn't need resistor caps, or plugs come to that, the carbon HT lead does the job for you.

I made my own for Leburg ignition. Bought the bits from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/, including the crimpers.

The coil end terminals required a little bit of creativity to fit the zetec coil, but worked well in the end. They may do custom Zetec/Visteon coil fittings now.
Bought a selection of crimp on side and straight loader plug caps and used them as required for each plug, depending on access and cowlings.
Rob Swain
If the good Lord had intended man to fly, He would have given him more money.