Workshop – how big?

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Nick Allen

Workshop – how big?

Post by Nick Allen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Also posted on the Flyer forum, but thought I would canvass here too

If one were to build an aircraft, how much workshop space should one sensibly allow? Area? Height?

I realise this is a bit of a "piece of string" question, so let's assume we're building something straightforward -- Vans, Groppo, Escapade; and that the answer "as big as possible" is not helpful! There's a square meter build cost involved in this possible venture, so the space has to be justified. But if you've had a workshop, and thought "If only I had had another 2 m on the end my build would have been so much easier", then that's the sort of information I'd like to know.

Ian Melville

Re: Workshop – how big?

Post by Ian Melville » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 pm

I think it very much depends on the choice of aircraft.
It is possible to do most of the work in a single garage. In fact I am building The CX4 in one which is compromised at one end by the stairwell. However I would not recommend it if you have a choice. Until the wing are complete, I have to put up with playing musical chairs to get power tools to the right position to be usable. It is also important to have somewhere to store completed parts.

I would love a double garage, but that ain't going to happen unless I move house.
Ian Melville

Harry Hopkins

Re: Workshop – how big?

Post by Harry Hopkins » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:53 pm

Hello Nick,

It is indeed a chicken and egg situation; the RVs have 2 piece wings, so you're working on a semi span, whereas the Jodels have a one piece wing and need a really long workshop. With the RV fuselage, it's handy to be able to get around each end of the structure during the build but it's possible to hold off on mounting the engine or adding the rudder until a fine day when the end can poke out of the workshop.

When considering width, you need space for a workbench and tools, and, unless you have a separate store, for the completed wings and tail feathers. Almost invariably you have to move to a hangar for full erection of wings and empenage to fuselage.

Best wishes.

Harry