Modifying Leburg.

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

cardiffrob

Modifying Leburg.

Post by cardiffrob » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Hello.

I was asked recently if the Leburg system is made in a manner that would permit it to be user-modified with regards to the timing curve and the rev limiter that currently comes in at 4000 rpm. Not knowing much about wiggly amps I thought someone here might be clued up on the subject enough to help answer this?

The idea is that the Leburg is a simple and proven 2D mapped system that could be used on a vinatge car engine if the curve could be adjusted and the limit increased. I did ask David Mickleburg about this many years ago and he said he was thinking about moving the design towards an EPROM so that it could be remotely adjusted through the internet but i don't know if that ever went anywhere. Sadly, it was not much later that he had his accident.
Rob Thomas

Chris Martyr

Re: Modifying Leburg.

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 am

Hi Rob,
Despite being a LeBurg user myself , I think that our dear departed friend may have taken the mapping data with him .
If it's for that beautiful little A7 Special that you kindly posted pictures of last year [year before ?] then it may be worth having a chat with Pigsty Racing about this.
Or am I telling granny how to suck eggs here . :D

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks Chris.

This idea is for setting up the tuning on a 1949 Morris rally car for which no tuning data exists. Lots of scatter due to the poor design of the ignition system so a simple Leburg system would have been handy rather than the more fancy Megaolt-type things.

Are there any photos around of the inside of a Leburg box???
Rob Thomas

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 pm

I thought that a Megajolt system, apart from having to program it (and I'm sure someone somewhere has done what you need!), was about a simple as it got...

However, I've just seen that Sky-craft say "Hot News! We are now able to adjust the timing curve [of the Leburg system] to suit various other 2 / 4 cylinder applications - Contact us today with your requirements." So the knowledge to adapt the Leburg is out there somewhere.

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/Sky ... ition.html

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:19 pm

I know it's not quite what you asked Rob , but have you looked at the '123ignition' system ? It can be used on Morris, MG and just about any other British classic and has an advance curve with about 16 different pre-settable options.
One of my work colleagues has it on his MG Midget and he is mightily impressed with it.

Again , apologies if I'm going over already covered ground. :)

cardiffrob

Post by cardiffrob » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:10 am

Nick. That is good news. I'll see what they have to offer. Hopefully they can retrofit since I already have 3 controllers, having sold off the rest.

Chris. I'd looked at the 123 system but it still will suffer from the spark scatter due to the poor method of coordinating distributor to crankshaft via lots of moving parts, all worn out and no longer available. I've made a new drive shaft but I can't cut the spiral threads for the drive off of the camshaft, hence the search for something triggered off of the crank pulley.
Rob Thomas