First Aid kit

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

Paul Catanach

First Aid kit

Post by Paul Catanach » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm

How many people carry a First Aid kit?

Of those who do, how many simply bought a Halfords £9.99 kit ten years ago and haven't looked at it since?

ivor

Re: First Aid kit

Post by ivor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am

i will put my hands up :roll: yes it’s been 10 years since fitting mine but it is still sealed in polythene
so should be good for a few more years, Also a bit more upmarket than the £9.99 Halfrauds one, :D
Ivor Phillips
Europa XS

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:26 am

Did you buy a ready made one or is yours home grown? What’s in it? I’m putting one together and without going bonkers want to make sure I’ve not missed anything.

I’ve got:

Bandages, two sizes
Triangular bandage
Israeli bandage
Burn dressing
Gauze pads
Sterilising wipes
Plasters
Roll of micropore tape
Butterfly stitches
Eyewash
Space blankets
Scissors
Chemical light stick
Small torch
Signal mirror
Couple of small bin bags

That looks like a lot but it only fills half a bum bag (I now have the phrase ‘fanny pack’ in my search history which I hope I never have to explain) and weighs less than a kilo. The advantage of a soft bag over a hard plastic box is that if it breaks loose it’ll do less damage to my noggin.

Cost. The Israeli bandages aren’t cheap, about a fiver each dependant upon size, but are the dog’s wossnames. If I come down hard off-field and are in need of some blood stemming I’ll be glad to have this. The burn dressings are about £2 each but a burn is likely to happen far from running water (hot exhaust?) and these dressings are magic.

The other items cost pennies if bought online. Butterfly stitches = £1.75 for 25 strips, scissors = £1, gauze pads £2 for 25... You get the idea. I’ve enough of everything to make up a new kit for my aircraft, top up the one in my car and the one at home with plenty left over.

In fact, how about LAA First Aid kits?

Trevor Harvey

Post by Trevor Harvey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:24 pm

How about a survival kit?

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Paul Catanach wrote:Signal mirror
Ah, come on -- we know that's really for your make-up.

(But that's a good list -- the Israeli bandage was new to me, so thanks for that.)

Paul Catanach

Post by Paul Catanach » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:50 pm

The mirror? No, it's really a............oh okay, busted. :mrgreen:

Back in my bush flying days I carried a few survival items but buzzing around the UK I don't think them necessary. Apart maybe from some beer vouchers.