Arplast PV 50

The place to raise issues, ask questions, swap ideas and discuss anything related to aircraft engineering, maintenance and building.
NB Any opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily those of LAA Engineering

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

marrenstar

Arplast PV 50

Post by marrenstar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi there Club members,
Does anyone know if there another blade manufacturer that’s going to be producing a replacement blade for this type.
I’ve been told by LAA engineer that the club has knowledge of a German manufacturer. I’m fed go googling the word Arplast just to see that same hits, but nothing leading me to manufacturer.
I’m interested in purchasing a Europa Monowheel, but it has cracks appearing near the root of all 3 blades. Some are suggesting that it’s just the gel coat, but it could prove rather more costly!
Regards
Mark Hamilton

mikehallam

Re: Arplast PV 50

Post by mikehallam » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:11 pm

I have a microlight Arplast and did look up to see if anyone had taken over manufacture. I thought I'd found a Canadian prop maker but today a similar question on the Internet, was no good.
I dropped a line to Warp Drive (I run the 80 hp Rans with one - it's good) to ask if they knew. Here's their reply - not much help I'm afraid.

"I have not heard of a manufacturer that has taken over the Arplast line of props. I would try contacting the Air Creation trike company as they were using the Arplast propellers almost exclusively so they may have blades available. Not sure what application your friend would be needing blades for or whether they would have the correct rotation but this would be my recommendation."

mike hallam. BTW WD are approved for Europas.

marrenstar

Post by marrenstar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Many thanks for that lead, I’ve emailed them. Thanks
Mark Hamilton

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

My PV 50 is getting on a bit (2002) so I'm interested in who can refurbish these props or supply spares. Someone did mention to me that P&M aviation may be able to help but I have to admit I've never contacted them to find out.

They are quite popular on microlights so there must be a lot of Arplast props still in service.

Matt Dovey

Post by Matt Dovey » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 pm

John I think you'll find that most of the Arplast props fitted to microlights are fixed pitch. So not sure what help P&M will be to you.
Last year I had to fix a couple of problems on my PV 50 fitted to my Europa. Most of the parts are commercially available. Not of the hardware is. I needed to replace the circlip that retains the small bear on the pitch change screw drive. I also replaced the bearing. Both just standard parts that took a couple of minutes research on the internet. I also had to replace the motor and gearbox. Both which are made by a German company who has a UK distributor. I contacted the UK distributor who was well aware of the both the gearbox and motor being used on aircraft and provided me with a good service.
Minor repairs to the blades shouldn't be to hard to repair with a bit of Epoxy. I do know of one guy who has performed a major repair to an Arplast blade that was going through the LAA repair approval. Not sure of the out come.
I'm sure someone with electronics knowhow will be able to fix the controllers as well.

jangiolini

Post by jangiolini » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:03 am

Hi my friend Martin has just managed to get a set of blades accepted by LAA for use with Arplast hub and controller will get details if you are interested.
John Angiolini