Open cockpit flying during winter

Come on in for general chat and POLITE banter between LAA members

Moderators: John Dean, Moderator

ed langley

Open cockpit flying during winter

Post by ed langley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:18 pm

What is the best flying gear to wear for open cockpit flying in cold weather ,in particular gloves as i suffer from poor circulation in my hands?
Regards Ed

Chris Martyr

Re: Open cockpit flying during winter

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Ed . You must be a 'proper pilot' then... 8)

I find it a bit of a catch-22 , because if I was to get too togged up , then I would have trouble fitting in G-EVPIs cockpit . So apart from a thermal t-shirt , jumper and lined fleece as upper garments , plus the leather flying hat , I cannot pad out too much .

Like most other warm blooded creatures , I also find that the hands get it worst . Although I'm reluctant to wear gloves , as it makes it almost impossible to press the PTT on my Yaesu .

In all honesty , I don't really go too far this time of year , once you've looked at your hands and see they've gone purple , then it's time to head back to base .

And another reason : As much as we all love to get airborne this time of year , it's the 2hrs afterwards cleaning all the cr@p off that spoils it for me .. :D

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Arrg, I have to wear a jumper this time of year, Bliss :D
Mike Blyth

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm

A Yorkshire man would just about be thinking of putting long trousers on and buttoning up his polo shirt at this time of year.

mikeblyth

Post by mikeblyth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Well he would, we are very sensitive down sauf😳
Mike Blyth

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Alan Kilbride wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm
A Yorkshire man would just about be thinking of putting long trousers on and buttoning up his polo shirt at this time of year.
A polo shirt Alan ???? :D That's a bit 'Lembit Opik' isn't it ,,,,[remember him ? ] But I wouldn't expect you rufty tufty Yorkshire lads to be wearing anything more than a singlet vest . Not even at this time of year .. :lol: .

And congratulations on your recent award too by the way . :D

Alan Kilbride

Post by Alan Kilbride » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Thank you Chris

Polo shirts have been on offer at Primark Chris. 3 for a tenner. No skimping up here mate.

djwood

Post by djwood » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Best buy for me was a pair of 'vintage' fur-lined flying boots. Makes all the difference having warm tootsies.
David Wood
FI(A)/FE(A) based in the South West

Daniel Scott

Post by Daniel Scott » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi Ed,

the following works for me - a neck warmer tube ( my wife says they're called a Buff ) tucked under the helmet strap so there is no exposed skin, winter motor cycle gloves, a Trespass ski jacket ( wind proof, cheap - £35, surprisingly effective ), and then 'thermal' layers.
The gloves were the most expensive item - I like warm hands too :D
Hope that helps.

Regards Daniel Scott
Daniel Scott

cmonsell

Post by cmonsell » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:09 am

I found it was useful to wear a pair of sailing mitts, they come with either all fingertips cut off or just the index finger (so you can tie knots). This allows you to tune radio/txpdr etc easily while not quite freezing your digits off.
Charles Monsell

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:49 pm

I used to fly a D9, and did venture out on cold winter days...

Thermal long-johns and vest essential for me. Followed by a T-shirt, a shirt a jumper and a good fleece. Jeans are OK, but some thermal-lined Craghopper trousers better. My hands are prone to chilling, but I didn't like flying in thick gloves (fiddly switches to operate) and I found that as my hands were tucked well out of the breeze some lighter Nomex flying gloves (about a tenner from eBay) were fine. Leather flying helmet plus wollen scarf kept my head/neck cosy.

A local reprobate stuck a camera on the aircraft a couple of times to record my folly; you can blame him for the music. :D (Although there is snow in the first video, it was actually much colder in the first one!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnx-oI0E97c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlQEL-epb4

Chris Martyr

Post by Chris Martyr » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:51 am

^^^Like^^^Like^^^Like... :D

Great post there Nick . It really has brightened up a cold January day .

Always good to see guys flying , 'just for the hell of it' .

Don't apologise for the backing music either . OK ,,,I'll admit that the VW in full song is a very , very satisfying sound . But AC-DC in full song is probably the next best thing..........

8)

ChampChump

Post by ChampChump » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Splendid greasy landings :D
Nic Orchard

Nick Allen

Post by Nick Allen » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:37 pm

^^^ Thank you, ChampChump! (I would be lying mightily if I said they were all like that :D )

Michael Brooks

Post by Michael Brooks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 am

During my last motorcycling phase (2009 - 2016 with a Royal Enfield Bullet 500) I invested in one of those electrically heated jackets, and I have been pondering its suitability for use in an open cockpit aircraft (providing it has sufficient electrical capacity) because when I finally retire I intend to return to building the VP-1 that I started 30 years ago in my twenties. On the bike it was an interesting experience - I found that it was hot enough to be almost roasting the skin, but because the rest of me was in the cold airstream (I had not also invested in the heated leggings) that kept cooling the bloodstream so that my core never warmed up. Being roasted on the outside but still feeling foundered is the oddest feeling. :?
However, the typical open cockpit should provide a lot more shelter from the wind than an unfaired bike (especially for the legs), so I figure my old jacket might be just the ticket for that application. Must look up its power consumption...